Volleyball sweeps Southern Illinois

volleyball
The CMU women's volleyball team celebrates after winning a point on Sept. 9 in McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan Volleyball started off the 2017 Shamrock invitational with a sweep.

Today’s opening match saw the Chippewas win in three straight sets 25-19, 25-19, and 25-22 respectively over Southern Illinois.

“I thought we came out and really executed our game plan,” said head coach Mike Gawlik. “We had a lot of people contribute. We know we have a tough day tomorrow, so it’s nice to get a win here in the first game.”

Senior outside hitter Jordan Bueter contributed 10 kills and four aces in her hometown return to South Bend. 

Underclassmen were big contributors in the win over the Cougars. Freshman setter Grace Butler added a team-high 31 assists, sophomore Megan Kern added 12 digs, and freshman Miani Boldin added six blocks and six kills.

The Shamrock Invitational continues for the Chippewas with matchups Michigan State at 10 a.m. and host Notre Dame at 7 p.m. 

“Tomorrow will be a good measuring stick for how far we’ve come this season,” Gawlik said. “We’re going to focus on the people on the court, not the name or ranking. We’ll find success in little bunches. You can’t beat good teams if you don’t play them.”