Ward and Spalding give football one-two punch

brockman-footballvsrhodeisland-1
Senior running back Devon Spalding is tackled during the game against Rhode Island on Aug. 31 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

A running back duo of sophomore Jonathan Ward and senior Devon Spalding has emerged three games into the season.

With a new spread offense being implemented in 2017, the one-two punch in Central Michigan's backfield has been able to pick it up and become the top rushers for the team. 

After playing a full season together a year ago, Spalding and Ward have formed a bond on and off the field to keep their chemistry high.

Forming the Duo

“(Ward) has been able to help me stay competitive during the winter conditioning program, always testing me and my abilities,” Spalding said. “I’m really thankful for him and treat him as a little brother. I’m excited to see what he can do in the future with this program and I want to teach him as much as I can while I’m still here.”

Ward said the recruiting process was made easy by former CMU running backs coach Gino Guidugli and former CMU running back Thomas Rawls, who now plays professionally.

“As the year went on, he took me under his wing, and Devon (Spalding) has taught me how to be a leader," Ward said. "He expects me to be great and that pushes me to play at another level.”

Through three games in the 2017 season, the tailback tandem of Ward and Spalding has been able to compile 340 total rushing yards.

When talking about the two different individual running styles they posses, Spalding described Ward as the faster, more explosive back and himself as more of a “punch you in the gut” style.

“We have a great change of pace, (Ward) is very shifty and fast like the home run hitter of the backfield,” Spalding said. “When I come in I just try to go downhill and take one cut. He sets runs up for me and I set them up for him.”

Head coach John Bonamego said that both of these players have something special to their game.

“This offense allows us to feature guys with different skill sets and not limit them," Bonamego said. "We’ve been creative with how we use these guys. Especially Jonathan (Ward) because he has unique abilities in the backfield but also when you split him out as a wide receiver. It creates a chess game that opens up opportunities to run the ball with Devon (Spalding) or Jonathan (Ward) both on the field.”

Staying Consistent

In CMU’s 45-27 win over Kansas, the Chippewas lost senior Corey Willis for at least a month with a broken wrist and sophomore Brandon Childress for the year with a torn ACL.

Spalding doesn't believe the injuries to the receivers can change their role with the offense.

“There is pressure on us every week to win and we have to do our job no matter what happens,” Spalding said. “Regardless of what happens to our teammates, we experience the same amount of pressure to do our one and only job — winning.”

In week two, quarterback Shane Morris had a career game, completing 28-for-37 passes with five touchdowns. 

“When Shane (Morris) plays like he did it keeps us very balanced,” Ward said. “It makes it so our opponent can’t key on any weaknesses. If we can’t run, we just head out to the slot and beat them that way or it can go the other way. That is what makes us such a good offense right now.”

Accomplishing Goals

Ward and Spalding are in different points in their CMU career, but have similar goals.

“The sky is the limit for this team because we have so much potential," Spalding said. "Our athleticism and physicality combined with the great coaches and the teams bonding can lead us to do whatever we want.”

Ward said this team is built to win in Mid-American Conference play.

“I don’t see a reason why we shouldn't win the MAC title this year,” Ward said. “I believe we could really do it this year and I sincerely mean that. 

“The atmosphere with all of the leaders here is great and if we do our job and the team follows, we will be getting to the (MAC) championship game."