Bras for a Cause raises $7,000 to support breast cancer research, awareness

dsc-1607

Men strutted in original, handcrafted bras and walked the catwalk at a local bar Oct. 19 to raise money for breast cancer awareness and research.

Hunter’s Ale House, at 4855 E. Bluegrass Road, was packed as participants bid on creative, handcrafted bras in the live auction and benefit gala. The event raised $7,010 for breast cancer research.

The event was hosted by the radio station WCFX with proceeds going to Community Cancer Services of Isabella County and the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute of McLaren Central Michigan Morey Cancer Center. 

Sponsors included the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce, STIR Craft Cocktails, the Women’s Medical Center in Mount Pleasant and the Hunter Brands. 

This was the seventh time Floyd Evans, WCFX director of sales, oversaw a bra auction for breast cancer research and awareness. It was his first time doing it through WCFX. 

“Everywhere I’ve worked, we bring this event out," he said. "All the money stays here locally."

Evans said the cause is close to his heart in light of his mother and sister both being diagnosed with breast cancer. 

Mount Pleasant resident Luann Baldwin receives chemotherapy from the Karmanos Cancer Institute as a breast cancer patient. She said she attended the event to enjoy a night out with friends. 

“It’s great everybody (came) out and is trying to get breast cancer awareness out there,” she said.

Diane Recker, the designer of the bra for Karmanos, used lemons as inspiration for its design. She titled the bra “Squeeze for a Cause: Make Sure You Get Your Yearly.” 

“Breast cancer is very important in our lives,” she said, citing her friendship with Baldwin as an inspiration.

Megan Bair, president of Community Cancer Services, became involved with breast cancer awareness, research and funding after her mother-in-law passed away after a 13-year battle.

WCFX and other key sponsors invited Bair to attend Thursday's event to represent her organization and to help promote its mission in person. 

“They approached us wondering if we would be interested in attending and sharing some of our survivors’ stories,” Bair said. “They did a wonderful job and just asked us to show up. This is a fantastic attendance for their first year.” 

President Greg "Ryno" Rynearson and Vice President Alan “Bubba” White of Cops & Doughnuts, were featured as two of the 14 male models showcasing bras. 

Rynearson said he has no problem placing himself in costumes or what some might describe as embarrassing situations for a good cause. He said he always has a fun time participating in breast cancer-related events. 

“My family’s been blessed, but I know so many that have passed away with cancer and we just got to do everything we can for it,” Rynearson said. “We’re going to find a cure.”

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →