BTN: A look at football's season through the first seven games

football-cover-story
Senior wide receiver Mark Chapman drops a pass during the homecoming football game against the University of Toledo on Oct. 14 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Through seven games of the 2017 season, the Central Michigan football team has tallied a 3-4 overall record and is 1-2  in the Mid-American Conference.

Heading into their final stretch of five games, here is a look at how the Chippewas' campaign is stacked up by the numbers.

119.6 - That is the number of yards CMU is averaging on the ground per game this season, compared to the opponents average of 208 yards per contest. The Chippewas have allowed a total of 1,456 yards on the ground this season, while they themselves have only rushed for 837 yards. CMU is 11th in the Mid-American Conference in rushing offense.

17 - The total number of turnovers the Chippewas have recorded so far this season. 10 of those are interceptions with the other seven being fumble recoveries. That stat is currently tied for fourth place with four other FBS teams (Penn State, Memphis, Wyoming, Utah State). CMU ranks third in the conference in pass efficiency defense and first in interceptions. 

3 - Senior tight end Tyler Conklin has three receiving touchdowns in his two games back and is tied with senior wide receiver Mark Chapman (who has played in seven games) for the team lead. The preseason John Mackey award list nominee has pulled in 13 receptions for 184 yards in those two contests.

1,874 - A grand total number of yards on offense transfer quarterback Shane Morris has produced this season, which is good for second in the MAC behind Toledo quarterback Logan Woodside. Morris is averaging 267.7 yards per game while passing for a grand total of 1,767 yards on the year. He has thrown 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions this season.

54 - Junior linebackers Malik Fountain and Alex Briones have recorded that many tackles apiece this year, good for a ninth place tie in the MAC. Fountain has 29 solo tackles and 25 assists and Briones has 36 solo and 18 assists.

7 - As a defensive unit, CMU is ranked ninth in the league with just eight sacks on the season. For sacks against the Chippewas, they are at the top spot, only allowing seven total sacks for 38 yards on the season.

208:31 - Time of possession for the new spread offense in 2017 has wound up in the bottom half of the conference. CMU ranks eighth in the MAC in that category, averaging 29:47 per game with the ball.

36 - Starting off the game with the lead isn't something CMU has done in any game this season, as they are being outscored by their opponents 55-19 in the first quarter. In the third quarter the Chippewas are also being outscored by more than 30 points, with a score of 48-16.

49,076 - The total number of fans that have walked through the gates of Kelly/Shorts Stadium this season. Per home game, the Chippewas are averaging 16,359 fans.