Driver heading in wrong direction on US-127 causes three car collision

35969_29458_policept

A vehicle heading northbound in the southbound lane of US-127 resulted in a head-on collision with two other vehicles Monday morning in Isabella County.

Drivers from the vehicles were taken to a local emergency department for treatment, said Isabella County Sheriff Michael Main. Those injuries are believed to be non-life threatening.

The incident took place shortly before 6:30 a.m. Oct. 9 in the north southbound lane of US-127 near Vernon Road in Isabella Township.

Deputies were originally dispatched to a “wrong way driver” on the expressway, Main said. There were multiple 911 calls about a driver heading northbound in the southbound lane of the highway.

A head-on collision between the vehicle and two other cars took place as deputies were unable to catch up to the wrong-way driver, Main said.

The sheriff said there is no clear indication of where the driver entered the expressway but there is belief it happened at the south business loop of Mount Pleasant or before. Main added there is no information at this time as to why or what caused the wrong-way driver to enter the expressway in the wrong direction.

A police report has not been completed at this time, Main said. The incident is still under investigation.

Isabella County Central Dispatch, Mobile Medical Response, Clare City Police Department and Isabella Northeast Fire Department assisted the Isabella County Sheriff’s Office.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →