Fake parking passes, marijuana package delivery among on-campus incidents

35969_29458_policept

The following incidents were handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 23-Oct. 2. Mount Pleasant Police Department Public Information Officer Jeff Browne was not available for comment this week.

Oct. 2

An unsecured bicycle was taken at Northwest Apartments. CMUPD Lt. Cameron Wassman said the incident is thought to have occurred Oct. 1. The value of the 19-year-old woman’s bicycle is about $100.

CMUPD responded to a complaint of loud, offensive music being played in Saxe Hall. After hall staff’s request for the music to be turned down was not answered, CMUPD intervened, Wassman said. The music was eventually turned down.

Oct. 1

A burglary without force was reported in Herrig Hall. Wassman said CMUPD received a call about someone undressing and climbing into what he thought was his roommate’s unoccupied bed. He was intoxicated, Wassman said, and was in a room that was not his. The 19-year-old man was arrested.

Sept. 30

People were throwing rocks at a car in the drive-thru at the McDonald’s on Mission Street. Wassman said there are no suspects. 

Sept. 28

A 19-year-old man reported damaged to his bicycle near Celani Hall. Wassman the incident may have occurred between Sept. 22-25. The rear brakes and cable lock were damaged at an estimated $50. 

Parking Enforcement staff found a fraudulent parking pass at Northwest Apartments. Contact was made with a 19-year-old man and the incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct, Wassman said.

An 18-year-old woman was the recipient of a mail delivery package that smelled like marijuana in Beddow Hall. Wassman said hall staff observed the odor of marijuana in a package and the Michigan State Police drug dog was called. Edibles and approximately 2-3 ¼ grams of marijuana were found. Information was sent to the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney and Office of Student Conduct. Wassman had no information on who sent out the package.

A decorative license plate was taken from a vehicle parked in lot 63. Wassman said the incident could have occurred as early as Sept. 24 but was reported on Sept. 28. The value of the plate is $10 and the car was owned by an 18-year-old man.

Sept. 27

An 18-year-old woman had a fraudulent parking pass created for her, Wassman said. Her vehicle was parked in lot 40. Wassman said the woman’s brother made her the fraudulent pass. The incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

Sept. 26

A damage of a bicycle Sept. 23 outside of Calkins Hall was reported to the CMUPD. Wassman said the fender and seat on the bike of an 18-year-old woman were damaged at an estimated $50.

Two 19-year-old men, two 19-year-old women and one 20-year-old man were caught with marijuana in Northwest Apartments. Staff observed the odor of marijuana and contacted CMUPD, Wassman said. Police confiscated a couple of fake IDs, alcohol and two grams of suspected marijuana. The incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

Sept. 25

Several people were seen entering the wooded area near lot 22 just before midnight, Wassman said. Officers observed the odor of marijuana and some of the people were drinking alcohol. A 20-year-old man was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Sept. 23

CMUPD documented an estimated 75 people who passed out due to hot temperatures during the CMU football game against Miami (Ohio). Wassman said some cooling rooms were set up to help treat them. “Thankfully there was nothing serious to come out of it,” Wassman said.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →