Field hockey falls 4-0 to No. 4 Michigan, loses 31st straight game

fh-1

Senior midfielder Carly Brengosz hits the ball during the game against University of Michigan on Oct. 24 at the Field Hockey Complex.

A cold, rainy afternoon Tuesday set the stage for Central Michigan field hockey’s final home game of the 2017 season. 

The Chippewas fell, 4-0 to No. 4 Michigan at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. 

CMU now sits at 0-17 on the season, with an 0-5 record in the Mid-American Conference.

The Chippewas also extended their losing streak to 31-consecutive games, and their scoreless streak to 11 games.

Michigan would strike in the first half with two goals 35 seconds apart from Kate Walker and Meg Dowthwaite to take a 2-0 lead. Junior goalkeeper Lily Amadio had seven saves for the Chippewas in the first half.

The Wolverines would out-shoot the Chippewas 18-0 in the first half, 11 of which were on goal. Michigan also won the penalty corner battle 6-0.

The Big Ten regular season conference champions would add two more goals in the half from Katie Trombetta at the 2:58 mark and from Carly Bennett at 22:25 to take the game 4-0.

Michigan finished the game out-shooting CMU 34-1, 18-0 on net. The Wolverines also won the corner penalty battle 12-0.

Freshman midfielder Callie Quinn registered the team’s lone shot in the second half. Amadio would finish the game with 16 saves, while the team accounted for two of its own. 

“I thought we played well against the number (four) team in the country,” said head coach Molly Pelowski. “I was pleased with our defense. We closed the circle a few times against a very skillful team.”

Central Michigan field hockey finishes the 2017 season at 3 p.m. Friday at Ball State.