Large Sports Forum Courts at Student Activity Center to re-open on Thursday

19293_logot

Months after the record-breaking flooding in Isabella County, renovations at Central Michigan University are almost complete. 

On Thursday, Oct. 26, the Large Sports Forum Courts inside the Students Activity Center will finally open to students and will be available when doors open at 6 a.m. 

Stan Shingles, the assistant vice president of University Recreation, said he is excited for the SAC to be potentially filled once again. 

“It increases our capacity tremendously. We have a lot of students trying to play,” he said. “I talked to some of them and they are excited to get back out there. We’re excited to give our students four extra days on courts they deserve to play on.” 

The Large Sports Forum Courts took eight weeks total to complete, according to Shingles. The Small Sports Forum, parallel to the larger courts in the SAC, was completed over a month ago. 

The weight-training facility on the bottom floor of the SAC is the last part of the project left to be finished. Shingles said the school is still waiting for the new equipment to come in and expects it to open after Thanksgiving. 

The weight room will be completely refurbished with brand new equipment and flooring. Shingles said students will be “pleasantly surprised” after it opens. 

“This isn’t stuff you just buy off the shelf. It’s manufactured to a specific specification,” he said. “I know (the delayed opening) is going to disappoint some students, but its’ difficult when you are replacing everything.”