More than 65 businesses interact with community at Mount Pleasant expo

bexpo-1

Mount Pleasant residents walk around the expo on Oct. 12 at the Business & Community Expo in the Comfort Inn Conference Center.

More than 65 vendors, businesses and nonprofits interacted with the community Thursday at the 2017 Mount Pleasant Business and Community Expo. 

The Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce organized its 24th annual expo to present the community with the goods and services available throughout the city. Nearly 500 community members attended the event that took place Oct. 12 in the Comfort Inn Conference Center, 2424 S. Mission St. 

“They have a lot of fun showing off what they have to offer in terms of product and services,” said Bret Hyble, president and CEO of the chamber. 

Participants included Great Lakes Safety Training Center, Isabella Bank, Two Men and a Truck and Isabella Bank. 

Hyble said there was a bigger presence of food vendors this year compared to previous expos. Appearances were made by Max and Emily’s Bakery Cafe, Pita Pit, Classic Fare Catering and Adelaide’s Bistro. 

“The greatest advantage of an event like this is our local businesses have an opportunity to spend face-to-face time with our community,” Hyble said. 

Janelle Joslin, internet manager and sales consultant for Krapohl Ford & Lincoln, attended the expo. She said Kraphol is Mount Pleasant’s premier Ford & Lincoln dealership that provides a variety of models available for rental and purchase, automobile accessories and services. 

The Krapohl table featured a cornhole game and giveaways. 

Joslin said Kraphol is a helpful resource for students at Central Michigan University in light of automobile troubles. 

“Your college community is kind of your home away from home. Everyone needs products and services,” she said. “Unfortunately you do get in a car accident from time to time and you definitely should get your oil changed. It’s good to know where you can get those services done.” 

The Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum was also present to promote new exhibits, including a light room featuring life-size laser pegs that are hand-sized; a camping exhibit with a miniature pop-up camper; a mega ant farm; and an interactive XBox Connect power screen allowing guests to interact with motion pictures. 

The museum is a nonprofit that serves Mount Pleasant and neighboring areas. 

“(We focus) on sparking creativity, nourishing, learning and instilling creative learning for kids in the Mount Pleasant area,” said Alexis Straub, event and marketing director for the museum.

Straub said the museum is accepting volunteers from CMU and more information can be found at www.mp discovery museum.org

The Humane Animal Treatment Society, located at 1105 S. Isabella Road, came to the expo with a puppy and cat to aid their mission of empowering the community to support compassionate treatment of animals. 

The society offers low cost spay and neutering services for families that cannot afford them at a formal veterinary clinic. 

“Our main goal is for education and outreach.” said Executive Director Summer DuBois. “We’re telling people overpopulation is a community problem that is real in this area.” 

DuBois said the society hopes to use community outreach events like the expo to encourage shelter adoption and concern for animals in Mount Pleasant and neighboring areas. 

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →