Ostman leads defense into Western game as nation's sack leader

fball-1

Senior defensive lineman Joe Ostman poses for a portrait on Oct. 25 at the Indoor Athletic Complex. 

A season ago, defensive end Joe Ostman finished second in the Mid-American Conference and 34th nationally with nine sacks.

Through eight games this season, the senior not only leads the MAC, but also leads the entire Football Bowl Subdivision with 10 total sacks on the year.

“I just keep working hard and preparing the same way,” Ostman said. “The more experience you get obviously helps along the way, but it just comes down to playing hard. I’ve been doing that since I got here.”

“Hard work” has earned the St. Ignace native this week's MAC West Defensive Player of the Week honors for the second time in his career.

The national attention hasn’t put any additional pressure on Ostman’s shoulders, he said. Instead, Ostman has taken it as a blessing and gives credit to his teammates.

“The guys around me push me every day on defense and I’m just thankful to have them,” Ostman said. “It’s a credit to them for their hard work and our hard work as a team.”

In Saturday’s 56-9 win at Ball State, the Chippewas recorded a season-high eight sacks. Ostman tallied a season-high four himself.

The four sacks totaled a loss of 18 yards and he added five more tackles in the game. On the season, Ostman is fifth on the team with 45 total tackles.

Head coach John Bonamego believes Ostman’s performance against the Cardinals was “clearly outstanding” and is fully deserving of receiving all the recent recognition.

"(Ostman) is the leader of our team and is a model of what we want on the field and in the classroom,” Bonamego said. “He’s earned everything he has gotten.

“He personifies what CMU football is really all about.”

As far as getting to the quarterback and finding a technique to rush them, Ostman said it is all about beating the guy who is blocking him.

“A lot of times I know what move I am going to do before the play or how I’m going to try and beat him,” Ostman said. “It’s kind of a game within the game — do one move one play and that sets (the offensive lineman) up for what move you can do the next play. I always try to mix it up.”

The likely candidate at quarterback that Ostman and the Chippewa defense will be facing on Nov. 1 for their rival Western Michigan is true freshman Reece Goddard.

Goddard will likely fill in for redshirt sophomore Jon Wassink, who broke his collarbone against Eastern Michigan last Saturday and will miss six-to-eight weeks.

While Goddard has only attempted three passes in his collegiate career, Ostman acknowledges it will be a blow for the Broncos. He said it doesn’t change how CMU’s defense prepares for the rivalry.

“We know what (WMU) does well and that is running the ball,” Ostman said. “They have a very good offensive line and losing their quarterback doesn’t take away from that. We will continue prepare for them and be ready for next Wednesday.”

CMU takes on Western Michigan at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 1, at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo. The Chippewas will try to avenge last seasons 49-10 loss to the Broncos.

Ostman described it as “the most important game on their schedule” and a huge rivalry.

“They have gotten us the past couple of years and were excited to go back to Waldo Stadium,” Ostman said. “We have business left that needs to be taken care of.”