Ostman named candidate for Wuerffel Trophy

fb-boston-college-ostman-093017

Senior defensive lineman Joe Ostman plays in the game against Boston College on Sept. 30 at Alumni Stadium.

The Wueffel Trophy is an award given every year to the college football player who exhibits community service, along with athletic and academic achievements. 

Central Michigan defensive end and captain Joe Ostman has been nominated for the award, which is presented by the All Sports Association. 

While managing a 3.68 grade point average, Ostman has made 22 tackles and six sacks for the Chippewas this season. He is majoring in general management. 

When Ostman is not on the field or studying, he can be found giving time to the community. 

Ostman will look to become the second Mid-American Conference player to win the award, as Western Michigan quarterback Tim Hiller won the trophy in 2009. Sam Acho is the only defensive end to receive the Wuerffel Trophy. He earned it with Texas in 2010. 

The national selection committee is made up of former coaches, former Wuerffel Trophy winners, industry notables, and media members. They will vote for the finalists and prizewinner.

The finalists for the Wuerffel Trophy will be announced on Nov. 22. The winner will be announced on Dec. 5 in New York City. 

Earlier this season, Ostman was named a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, which is given to college football’s best scholar-athlete. The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame will release 12 to 14 finalists on Nov. 1.