Rapid Reaction: Toledo 30, Central Michigan 10

football9
Sophomore defensive back Sean Bunting tackles a University of Toledo player during the game against the University of Toledo on Oct. 14 in Kelly Shorts Stadium.

With the rain pouring at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, the Central Michigan football team struggled to gain offensive momentum against Toledo’s defense. 

On Saturday, running back Terry Swanson led Toledo to a 30-10 victory over CMU (3-4, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) to spoil the Chippewas’ homecoming. 

Swanson ran for 177 yards and two touchdowns.

How It Happened

Swanson’s career performance began with a 48-yard rushing score on fourth-and-one with 7:08 left in the first quarter. 

After Toledo scored, both defensive units went back-and-forth. Between dropped passes and multiple punts, the score was 7-0 in favor of the Rockets at the end of the first quarter.

Toledo opened the second quarter with a 41-yard field goal from kicker Jameson Vest to take a 10-0 lead with 8:49 left in the quarter.  

On CMU’s next drive, senior tight end Tyler Conklin made an impressive reception from graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris. However, the offense stalled three plays later, as Toledo linebacker Jack Linch intercepted Morris at the Rockets' 46-yard line. 

Toledo quarterback Logan Woodside found Diontae Johnson on a screen play on third-and-14, in which he caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage on the left side of the field. 

Johnson’s sideline-to-sideline play helped move the chains and eventually set up a fourth-and-one scoring play by Swanson, who took the ball 22 yards to give the Rockets a 17-0 lead with 1:19 left in the second half. 

Morris found senior wide receiver Mark Chapman three-straight times in CMU’s final drive of the third quarter. The drive stalled and Michael Armstrong was forced to attempt a 23-yard field goal, which was converted. Chapman finished with five receptions for 71 yards. 

Toledo scored with 11:11 left in the game, as Woodside scampered for a five-yard touchdown. The score gave the Rockets a 23-3 lead. Toledo’s third touchdown of the game was set up by a 33-yard run from DeDarallo Blue. 

Morris was intercepted for the second time with 10:06 left in the game. Toledo cornerback Justin Clark made the play and gave the ball back to the offense, but the Rockets' ensuing drive stalled.

Shakif Seymour punched in Toledo's fourth score of the game on an eight-yard carry, giving the Rockets a 30-3 lead. 

On the Chippewas' final drive of the game, Morris found Tyler Conklin for a 26-yard touchdown. Morris finished the game 17-of-37 through the air for 182 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. 

Toledo's run game finished with 337 yards and four touchdowns. 

In CMU’s first drive of the game, wide receiver Corey Willis made his first reception since the Chippewas’ 45-27 win over Kansas on Sept. 9. The play was a 12-yard reception for Willis.  

What’s Next

The Chippewas take on Ball State at 3 p.m. next Saturday at Scheumann Stadium.