Soccer defeats Eastern Michigan 4-1 in season finale

cmu-soccer-vs-western179
Junior forward Lexi Pelafas takes a shot at goal against WMU on Oct. 22 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Following the 2-1 loss to Western Michigan Michigan on October 22, the Central Michigan soccer team was officially bounced from postseason contention.

Thursday afternoon's season finale match against the Chippewa's other in-state rival Eastern Michigan was meaningless in terms of playoff contention for CMU.

However, the Chippewa's four-goal second half effort was anything but meaningless. 

Eastern Michigan led 1-0 at halftime. CMU responded with the most goals scored in single half all season, defeating the Eagles 4-1.

"I think it says a lot," said head coach Peter McGahey. "You can't underestimate that spirit and how hard today was." 

Just as WMU dashed the Mid-American Conference tournament hopes for CMU, the Chippewas were able to return the favor against EMU. The Eagles would've made the tournament had they won Thursday.

"It speaks a little bit to the seniors," McGahey said. "When the bell asks for one more response, they've always answered it."

With the win on the final game of the 2017 season, CMU finishes with an overall record of 8-8-3 and a conference record of 3-6-2. It marks the first time since 2014 that CMU miss the MAC tournament since 2014. 

Five seniors competed in their final match as a Chippewa including Megan Sweeney, McKay Matheson, Jamie Rademacher, Savannah Beetcher and Lauren Sherry. McGahey reflected how special the win was for himself and a great way to give the seniors one last memory.

"Today, what is special is that the them (seniors) and the team really created a special and powerful way to send the seniors off," McGahey said. "I could not be prouder or happier about that."