SPONSORED: 10 Steps for Success from a Senior to a Freshman

Coming into college and navigating how to best prepare for your future career can not only be confusing, but also overwhelming. Most freshmen are unaware of the services available to them and how to make use of them. Here are a few tips for getting the most out of Career Services resources offered by CMU.

Career and Academic Exploration 

Self-Clarity (Know yourself) is the number one place to start the work of career planning. Who are you, what are you passionate about, what do you value, what type of activities do you enjoy?
What are you good at? What skills do you have? It might seem like Career Services is geared towards students who have already decided on a major and future job, but that's not the case.

Still Deciding on a Major?

CMU’s Career Services offer resources to help students find out what major is the best fit for them and how to find an advisor within the major. They also offer resources such as career assessments, to assist students in career exploration. Take the Focus2 career assessment (located on their website) to begin exploring what’s out their for you.

Campus Involvement

Before and after you’ve decided on a major, you’ll probably want to discover people who share the same interests and passions as you. Career Services can direct you to professional RSOs on campus allowing you to connect with other people in your area of interests. These organizations offer professional development opportunities that are specific to your field and look impressive on resumes.

Handshake/Internships/Professional Employment

CMU’s Handshake system is a website similar to LinkedIn that allows you to create and organize your professional self: develop a network, upload a resume, learn about career events on and off campus, find jobs and internships. Handshake is connected to your Central Michigan account. Once activated, it will stay up to date on your GPA, major and anticipated graduation date. This is an extremely useful tool for networking professionally with employers other CMU students and alumni.

Capital City Internship Program

If you’re interested in working in government, or just want to get a better understanding of it, head to Career Services to find out about the Capital City Internship Program. The program allows CMU students to intern in Lansing in a government setting. All students, regardless of year and major, are encouraged to apply. Both paid and unpaid internships are available, and free transportation is provided by CMU.

Peer Advising

Resumes change a lot between high school and college, and knowing what to put on your resume or cover letter when applying for your first internship or job as a college student can be challenging. Through the Career Ambassador REACH advising program, students meet with peer adviser for tips and strategies to strengthen their resume/brand and/or cover letter in a 15-20 minute advising sessions.

Telling Your Story - Interviewing

Worried about an upcoming interview, or just want to work on your interviewing skills? Look no further than career services Career Ambassador Mock Interview Program to assist you in preparing for an interview. You can schedule a mock interview through Handshake. Mock interviews typically last about 45 minutes and require students to dress in business attire.

Coaching on appropriate attire - First Impressions Professional Clothing

First impressions matter, especially in a professional setting, so it’s important to look your best when going to an interview or job fair. Dressing professionally can be costly, especially for college students. Luckily CMU has First Impressions, a gently used professional clothing store just outside the Down Under Food Court in the UC, which provides business clothes to students for free. All you have to do is fill out a request form and get shopping!

Building your Professional Network/Alumni Network

Once a Chip, always a Chip. Successful CMU alumni are always looking to help; Whether you’re looking for a job or want to talk to someone who works in a field you're studying, Career Services can hook you up. Career Services (and Handshake) can connect you to a vast network of CMU alumni who can assist you in finding internships, jobs and making professional contacts to help you prepare and in your career.

Career Events and Activities

Career Services also regularly sponsors career fairs that allow students to network and circulate their professional information to potential employers. It’s never too early to begin building your professional network! Whether you’re looking for an internship or just trying to get a feel for what companies you might be able to work for, career fairs are an easy way to begin making professional connections.

Ready to get started? Alpha Kappa Psi is hosting a career fair this Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the indoor athletic complex that is open to all students. Grab some copies of your resume and a stack of business cards and come out for a day of professional development.