Toledo, Northern Illinois tied atop MAC West Division football

Brockman-FB-2

A Toledo player makes a touchdown as the CMU team plays defense during the game on Oct. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

In a tight game between Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan, Bronco freshman kicker Josh Grant pushed a field goal attempt wide right as time expired for the game-winning kick.

In overtime, Grant got another chance and this time, he made it count.

The 21-yard field goal gave WMU (5-3, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) their second overtime win of the season, a 20-17 victory.

Every other game in conference play was decided by double-digits, with Central Michigan, Toledo, Ohio, Northern Illinois and Miami (Ohio) winning.

MAC West Division

Toledo topped Akron, 48-21.

Rockets quarterback Logan Woodside completed 17-of-24 passes for 304 yards and five touchdowns in the win over the Zips.

Jon’Vea Johnson was the top-target for Woodside, recording five receptions for 102 yards and a pair of scores. 

The Rockets (6-1, 3-0) out-gained the Zips (4-4, 3-1) 626-333 on offense, while also getting 35 first downs on the afternoon compared to Akron’s 23.

NIU rolled over Bowling Green, 48-17. 

Marcus Childers led the way for the Huskies’ passing attack, completing 21-of-33 passes for 239 yards and three scores while adding 73 rushing yards in the victory over BGSU.

Running back Tommy Mister carried the ball 17 times for 115 yards and a touchdown, while wide receiver Chad Beebe snagged six catches for 124 yards and a score in the Huskies victory.

NIU (5-2, 3-0) out scored the Falcons (1-7, 1-3) 31-7 in the first half. The win keeps the Huskies tied with UT atop the MAC West. 

Other MAC scores

Ohio quarterback Nathan Rouke lifted his team to bowl eligibility with a 48-3 win against Kent State. Rouke had one running touchdown and passing scores. Ohio and Toledo were the first two MAC teams to reach six wins.

Miami (Ohio) topped Buffalo 24-14 on the shoulders of RedHawk running back Kenny Young's 125 yards and two touchdowns. 

Where CMU stands

With eight touchdowns, CMU blew out the Cardinals, 56-9.

CMU had its highest rushing total of the season with 256 yards. Sophomore Jonathan Ward led the pack with 97 yards and two scores on 13 carries.

Senior wide receiver Corey Willis scored three touchdowns and caught five catches for 98 receiving yards. This game was Willis' first back from suffering a broken hand that held him out for three games. 

The win puts the Chippewas (4-4, 2-2) at fourth place in the MAC West, a game behind WMU who they will play on Nov. 1 in Kalamazoo.

Transfer quarterback Shane Morris, who completed 16-of-21 passes for 199 yards and four scores on Saturday, said even though he hasn't been around the rivalry long, he knows what the “vibe” is like around the game.

“Really excited to go down there and play in it," Morris said. "I can’t wait. It’s going to be fun."

Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 1 at Waldo Stadium. Last season, WMU steamrolled CMU 49-10 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.