Volleyball commits 39 errors in 3-0 loss to Buffalo, losing streak at four matches

dsc-1290

Sophomore middle blocker Jayla Wesley spikes the ball at the CMU volleyball game against Buffalo on Oct. 20 at McGurik Arena.

Central Michigan volleyball committed a whopping 39 errors in a 3-0 defeat to Buffalo Friday at McGuirk Arena. 

The loss was the fourth-straight for the Chippewas. 

“They scored 75 (points), we gave them 39,” said head coach Mike Gawlik. “It’s nearly impossible to win (comitting that many errors).”

Central Michigan falls to 10-11 overall, with a 2-7 record in the Mid-American Conference. On top of their fourth-straight loss, the team has dropped eight of its last nine and was swept in three sets for the seventh time this season.

Buffalo improves to 12-8, 5-4 in the MAC.

“I think there are elements of the game we are proud of, one of those not being the final score,” Gawlik said. “I thought our team chemistry, unity and energy was really good. I never doubted our fight for a second.”

Buffalo led the opening set 21-13, until a 6-2 run pulled CMU within three. Buffalo would take the next three points and the first set 25-19. 

Set one featured two tied scores and only two lead changes. Senior outside hitter Taylor Robertson registered two kills, while junior middle blocker Jayla Wesley added two blocks.

Central Michigan led only once in set two, which featured three ties. Buffalo kept momentum from set one, with a lead as high as five in the second set.

Senior outside hitter Jordan Bueter produced six kills and four digs in set two, while freshman outside hitter Kalina Smith added four kills and a dig.

Both teams proved to be competitive coming out of the 10-minute break, with momentum shifting early in the third set on multiple occasions.

Buffalo would find momentum with an 11-3 run, until the Chippewas stormed back with a 5-1 run of their own to pull within two. The Bulls would finish set three on a 5-0 run to take set three 25-18 and the match 3-0.

“We nailed some of the things we wanted to get better at this week,” Gawlik said. “We now have to turn that into more points and a better performance on the court.”

Even though she was pleased with her individual performance, Smith said there’s not much to celebrate after a loss.

Buffalo’s Andrea Mitrovic led the match with 12 kills. 

Central Michigan takes on Akron 7 p.m. Saturday at McGuirk Arena.