Volleyball defeats Eastern Michigan in five sets

Central Michigan University Volleyball team huddles up before the game against the Toledo Rockets on Sept. 21 in the McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan volleyball continued its perfect stretch in the fifth set this season after defeating Eastern Michigan 15-11 in the final frame Thursday night in Ypsilanti. 

The Chippewas (10-7, 2-3 MAC) are 4-0 when they force the match to go the distance.

"I think it's a mentality," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "You get into the fifth set and you have to flush whatever happened in the first four sets."

Eastern Michigan defeated CMU in a close first set by a score of 26-24.

Sparked by a Miani Bolden block midway through the set, Central Michigan finished set two strong winning 25-21.

"Anytime you can go in 1-1 on the road you know that you're in the match ," Gawlik said. "I thought we just had to turn up a little bit our defensive effort and get a little bit more balance on our offensive attack."

Coming out of the intermission, the Chippewas took EMU down to the wire once again, but the Eagles won the third set 25-23.  

CMU was able to hold off a late push from Eastern in set four 25-22 to force a fifth set and win the match 3-2. 

Freshman Grace Butler led the Chippewas with 62 assists and also contributed 12 digs. Senior Jordan Bueter led all Chippewas with 20 digs and 20 kills. 

"We're going to have to continue to defend the pass well," Gawlik said. "That will be our focus."

Central Michigan returns to action at home Saturday October 7 to host Kent State at 7:00 p.m.