Volleyball looks to improve MAC standing against Ball State

dsc-1338

Freshman outside hitter Kalina Smith jumps to spike the ball at the CMU volleyball game against Akron on Oct. 21 in McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan’s volleyball team gets a chance to climb back into the top half of the Mid-American Conference West Division against Ball State on Friday.

The Chippewas finished the past weekend with a loss against Buffalo and a win against Akron.

CMU takes on the Cardinals at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 27 in Muncie, Indiana.

CMU is currently 11-11 overall and 3-7 in the Mid-American Conference. Ball State has a 14-9 overall record and is 6-4 in the MAC. Ball State has a 8-2 record at home this season, while CMU has a 3-5 road record.

When CMU played Ball State earlier this season, the Chippewas were swept in three straight sets.

CMU finished that game with 38 errors, while Ball State only had 23. Ball State edged CMU in digs, blocks and hitting percentage.

The Chippewas were swept 3-0 against Buffalo on Friday. Then, CMU won in three straight sets against Akron.

Senior middle blocker Paige Carey and freshman outside hitter Kalina Smith said it will be important to keep the energy up and stay humble as the season moves along.

“We need to keep pushing through and keep energy up,” Smith said. “I feel like this game (against Akron), we did a good job of staying consistent with our energy. Even when we were down a few sets, we didn’t get fazed and that’s something we need to keep up, too.”

Both CMU and Ball State are approaching the last six games of their seasons.

BSU is ranked second in the MAC West Division behind Western Michigan. The Cardinals lost their last game 3-1 to Miami (Ohio), which is currently on a seven match win streak.

The Chippewas are second-to-last in the MAC West Division and three conference wins behind Ball State.