Volleyball swept by Bowling Green, loss evens record at 10-10

volleyball2

Central Michigan University Volleyball Head Coach Mike Gawlik watches the team practice before the volleyball tournament in McGuirk Arena on Sept. 8.

Central Michigan volleyball never found a rhythm at Bowling Green this weekend.

The Chippewas (10-10, 2-6 Mid-American Conference) were defeated in three-straight sets Saturday by the Falcons (10-9, 7-1 MAC).

They now sit in fifth place of the MAC West Division, ahead of only Eastern Michigan. CMU, Akron, Kent State and EMU have 2-6 conference records.

"As a team, instead of regrouping we let it snowball and get worse and worse," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "We have a lot to work on this week."

Grace Butler led CMU with 25 assists, while Jordan Bueter tallied seven kills.

Bowling Green was led by Jessi Holly, who registered 10 kills. The Falcons had four players who earned five kills or more. 

After jumping out to a 14-8 lead, BGSU won the first set 25-15. 

The Chippewas found themselves in a hole again in the second set, trailing 14-7 to start. Bowling Green won the second set 25-16.

The Falcons completed the sweep by dominating the final set 25-10. 

"All in all, I’m not really pleased with the play," Gawlik said.

“You see the results from set one and from there it snowballed. We really need to step up and get back to getting better.”

Central Michigan fell 3-1 to Miami (Ohio) on Friday to start the weekend. Bueter and Robertson combined for 25 kills in the four-set defeat. 

CMU took the opening set, 25-23, but lost the next three by a combined 23 points. 

Robertson finished with 11 kills, three digs and a block. While Bueter registered 14 digs and a team-high 14 kills. 

CMU has only one win in its last seven matches. The Chippewas’ win in this streak came against Eastern Michigan, who sits at the bottom of the MAC East Division. 

CMU takes on Buffalo at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20 at McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas then host Akron at 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21. 

Last season, CMU topped Buffalo in New York, 3-2. The Bulls hold a 11-8 record and are coming off two wins this weekend against Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. 

Akron beat CMU 3-2 in James A. Rhodes Arena in 2016. The Zips are 6-14 overall and riding a five-game losing streak.