Women's Aid Service to hold open mic, candlelight vigil for survivors of domestic abuse

19293_logot

October is domestic violence awareness month, and to pay homage to those who have died at the hands of a loved one and to support those who have survived, the Women's Aid Service (WAS) of Isabella County is holding an open mic and candlelight vigil from 6-9 p.m. on Thursday Oct. 26 at The Dreamer Coffee Shop. 

Rihan Issa, prevention educator and volunteer coordinator at WAS, says the open mic is meant to be a healing space, which may help provide a support system, with counselors available should a performance or statement trigger unwanted remembrance. 

"Just because you are not in immediate crisis, the trauma of the event can be re-lived," Issa said. 

Anyone is able to participate in the open mic, and performances may be any representation of one's experience with the topic. 

Directly following the open mic performances, a candlelight vigil will be held to honor those affected by domestic violence, and a moment of silence will be observed to remember those who have lost their lives. 

There will be a sign-up sheet available at event, and Issa may be contacted with further questions at (989) 317-4684 or through email at rissa@womensaidservice.org.

Candles will be provided.