Man accused of accessing child porn in Park Library charged federally

jeffery harris

Jeffery S. Harris

An Ypsilanti man accused of viewing child pornography in the Charles V. Park Library last month has been arraigned in federal court.

Jeffrey S. Harris, 53, was charged with accessing child pornography in U.S. District Court on Oct. 25.

In a criminal complaint, a special agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation wrote that the Central Michigan University Police Department on Oct. 4 received several phone calls and tips that an individual was viewing child pornography on a library computer.

Harris told a CMU police officer he was viewing YouTube videos of boys being circumcised and a video of a boy in bed with a nude girl, who Harris stated was about age 15, according to the affidavit. He admitted to being in prison for child pornography charges in the past, according to the affidavit.

Police learned Harris parked at lot 10 at CMU and a search warrant for his vehicle was obtained, according to the affidavit. Officers found two laptops, two mobile phones and a notebook containing a listing of numerous accounts and passwords. They also found numerous library books from multiple different universities. There were at least 12 different library identification cards found in his wallet. 

Police found more than 150 videos that had been viewed on the library computer and about 1,000 images of child pornography depicting young boys after items were seized from Harris’ vehicle and the Park Library computer Harris was using, per the affidavit. 

Harris is due back in court Nov. 8.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →