U.S. Attorney's Office resolves ADA investigation of Isabella County polling sites

19293_logot

People with disabilities in Isabella County will have better voting access after a resolution from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan announced it has reached a resolution under the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

Voters with disabilities in 11 Isabella County cities and townships will be guaranteed access at polling places. The municipalities agreed to make temporary and permanent changes to all polling places before the 2018 election to make voting accessible on Election Day.

The case commenced under the U.S. Justice Department’s compliance review authority, according to a press release issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

“A vibrant democracy requires that all voices are heard. People with disabilities should not be discouraged from voting by physical obstacles at their polling place. We are pleased that so many townships and cities in Isabella County are making changes to their polling places to make it easier for people with disabilities to exercise their right to vote,” said Daniel L. Lemisch, acting U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan.

The cities and townships are: 

• Broomfield Township
  • Chippewa Township
  • Coldwater Township
  • Deerfield Township
  • Gilmore Township
  • Isabella Township
  • Nottawa Township
  • Sherman Township
  • Union Township
  • City of Clare
  • City of Mount Pleasant

Title II of the ADA prohibits public entities from discriminating against people with disabilities in its programs, services and activities, according to the release. Public entities include cities and townships and they are required to select and use polling places that are accessible.

More information can be found at the Justice Department’s toll-free ADA Information line at 800-514-0301 or 800-514-0383 (TTY) or by visiting the ADA website or the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s civil rights hotline at (313) 226-9151 or email at usamie.civilrights@usdoj.gov.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →