More details on Towers residence halls burglaries reported in weekly crime log

35969_29458_policept

The following incidents were reported to the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department between Oct. 31 and Nov. 6.

Nov. 6

· A shoplifting/retail fraud incident at the Provisions on Demand on-campus market was reported to CMUPD, but took place the night of Nov. 3. Lt. Cameron Wassman of the CMUPD said this incident could be tied to a pair of burglaries that took place in the Towers the night of Nov. 3.

Nov. 4

· A wallet was stolen from Wheeler Hall. Wassman said this is one of two incidents reported in a university-wide email sent out late Nov. 4. An 18-year-old man discovered his wallet was missing and found there were $200 in charges made in the Detroit area. It was presumably stolen from his room and the incident is believed to happen between Nov. 3-4, Wassman said.

· A property damage was reported in lot 42. A 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt had a large dent to the trunk. Wassman said it may have took place between 8:30 p.m. Oct. 31 and Nov. 4. There was about $600 in damage and police are reviewing video. The vehicle was owned by a 20-year-old woman.

· A 21-year-old Sterling Heights man was lodged for breaking and entering with intent. The incident took place after midnight Oct. 4 on the 1000 block of Douglas Street. MPPD Officer Jeff Browne said the “highly intoxicated” man walked into a residence. The homeowners asked him to leave and he refused. The suspect decided to leave, grabbed a chair and started walking out the door. Police arrived and the man ran back into the house and downstairs before being arrested. There was also some damage to the front window of the residence, Browne said.

Nov. 3

· A burglary was reported at Cobb Hall. An 18-year-old man and 19-year-old man returned to their dorm room to find their property was taken, Wassman said. There was about $1,000 worth of items taken, including two laptops, an Xbox and Xbox games. There are still no suspects at this time. This is the second burglary reported in the university-wide email.

Nov. 2

· A 33-year-old Mount Pleasant woman was lodged for disorderly conduct. Police were dispatched to a welfare check at the 1200 block of West. Broadway Street. The woman was sitting outside in the rain and was “highly intoxicated,” Browne said. She spat on an officer and was yelling and screaming. The incident was turned over to Tribal Court.

· A backpack was taken from Real Food on Campus in the Towers residence halls. A 19-year-old man left his backpack at the RFoC, went back and discovered it was no longer there, Wassman said. Police reviewed video and the man signed an IT waiver to track his computer. The estimated value of the backpack and contents, including a textbook, shoes and laptop, is $400.

Nov. 1

· An 18-year-old Waterford man was arrested for disorderly conduct after fighting in the Wayside Central parking lot. Officers observed bar staff in an altercation with the man, Browne said. The man was taking swings at the bar staff and was arrested. He had a blood alcohol content of 0.19 after a preliminary breath test.

· A 19-year-old Honor man was lodged for disorderly conduct and minor in possession. The man was urinating in the Wayside Central parking lot and admitted to drinking beforehand at his residence, Browne said.

· A 20-year-old Rochester Hills man was arrested for operating under the influence of drugs. Browne said a vehicle didn’t stop for a flashing red. Officers saw the man’s eyes were bloodshot and glassy and he admitted to using marijuana, Browne said. He was taken to a hospital for a legal blood draw.

Oct. 31

· A referral from Child Protective Services was investigated at the 1000 block of Appian Way. Mount Pleasant police received a call from CPS for abuse allegations, Browne said. There were marks found on the ear and scalp of a one-year-old child. The mother, a 21-year-old Mount Pleasant woman, and father, a 22-year-old Mount Pleasant man, both denied abusing the child. The incident was referred back to CPS and the prosecutor’s office.

· A 19-year-old man was arrested for probation violation, possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and destruction of evidence. Police stopped a vehicle for improper lane use, Browne said, and the man almost hit a car. Officers could smell and see marijuana in the vehicle. Police found marijuana in his car and saw marijuana in his mouth, as the man was attempting to chew it up. The man had five “baggies” of marijuana containing 17 grams, Browne said.

· Parking Services lost one of its radios, Wassman said. The estimated value is $500 and it has not been found.

· A larceny/theft was reported at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel. Wassman said it is an open investigation. A 31-year-old woman and 30-year-old woman reported about $200 had been stolen from their purses. Wassman sad police have identified a person of interest but no charges have yet been filed.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →