Sorority women showcase talents, compete in Sigma Chi Derby Days pageant

pageant061

Participants in the Derby Days pageant stand to answer questions on Nov. 7 at the Broadway Theatre. 

With smiles painted on their faces and Greek letters across their chests, groups of women filled the Broadway Theatre on Tuesday, Nov. 7 to watch the Sigma Chi Derby Days Pageant. 

In the past two years, the Central Michigan University chapter of Sigma Chi has raised $31,000 for Huntsman Cancer Institute through a week-long philanthropy competition known as Derby Days. This year, Sigma Chi has a goal to raise $20,000 during the Derby Days events, which will end on Friday, Nov. 10. 

About 200 people filled the crowd to support the 11 participants as they showcased their talents and answered questions from the moderators. The acts varied from singing and dancing to scientific experiments and makeup routines. Questions ranged from, ‘What Sig Chi would you date?’ to 'Who is the most influential person in your life?’

“All of the credit goes to the sororities. We could not do this without their participation,” said philanthropy chair Andy Skelton. "At the end of the week, it’s really all of their hard work and dedication to each other that really leads to the success of our events. We put in a lot of work too by setting them up but at the end of the day, it’s really the sororities that help us out.” 

Each sorority nominated a member to participate in the pageant. Ten minutes before the show started, the crowd of women cheered for their sisters they nominated. Zeta Tau Alpha members had signs in hand, Alpha Sigma Tau members held up sticks with photos of their nominee and Delta Zeta members waved glow sticks throughout the event to show their support. 

First place winner, Natalie Hall of Delta Zeta, believes it is this support that helped her win the competition. Hall performed "Creep" by Radiohead for her act.  

“It felt amazing to represent my sorority at such an amazing event,” Hall said. “They were with me all last night and today, helping me get ready and calling me to wish me luck. They also made my nerves go away by hugging, holding me and just being there for me.” 

The women were ranked by the judges based off of their creativity and originality throughout the show. 

Third place was given to Lauren Lewallen, who won 100 points for Zeta Tau Alpha, and second place was awarded to Taylor Winnell, bringing in 300 points for Alpha Chi Omega. Hall’s first place win earned Delta Zeta 500 points.