Football fends off Eastern Michigan, earns bowl eligibility

austin-2
Senior wide receiver Mark Chapman is tackled by Eastern Michigan University players during the game on Nov. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Following a 42-30 victory over Eastern Michigan, the Central Michigan football team is bowl eligible for the third straight season under head coach John Bonamego and fourth year overall. 

By defeating the Eagles (3-7, 1-5 Mid-American Conference), the Chippewas (6-4, 4-2 MAC) earned the Michigan MAC trophy on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

“All the MAC games are big, but the in-state ones are huge,” Bonomego said. “The Michigan MAC trophy comes back. I don’t know if six wins means we are bowl guaranteed because those spots fill up, so we have to keep working.” 

CMU got off to a rough start, as its first play from scrimmage was a fumble by graduate transfer senior quarterback Shane Morris. EMU freshman Maxx Crosby forced the fumble, recovered the ball, and scored to give EMU a 7-0 lead. 

With 4:45 left in the first quarter, the Chippewas got on the board with a four-yard connection between Morris and senior tight end Tyler Conklin. The play was set up by a 43-yard reception by senior receiver Mark Chapman. 

Sophomore running back Jonathan Ward made the Eagles pay with a 79-yard rushing score on the first play of CMU’s fourth drive. He could not find room up the middle, but bounced right and ran to the end zone for a 14-7 lead. 

EMU cut its deficit to four on a 38-yard field goal from sophomore kicker Paulie Frianco with 12:35 left in the first half, but CMU responded. 

Morris dropped back in the pocket, surveyed his options, and connected with senior wide receiver Corey Willis for his 20th receiving touchdown of his career and a 21-10 edge.

Later in the second half, Willis scored again on a four-yard shovel pass from Morris, putting CMU ahead by 18 points. 

Morris finished 9-of-12 through the air for 141 yards and three touchdowns. Willis led the team with five receptions for 60 yards and two scores. 

“Shane’s my guy,” Willis said. “He’s been getting more confident with the way we play. We knew it was going to be growing pains coming into the season, but right now he’s taking it in full stride. We are starting to see Shane Morris for real.” 

The Eagles capped off the first half with a 22-yard rushing score from junior Shaq Vann, but the Chippewas still held an 11-point advantage at halftime. 

Out of the break, senior safety Josh Cox grabbed his fifth interception of the season. After intercepting EMU redshirt junior quarterback Brogan Roback, the Chippewas scored on a three-yard run by Ward, giving CMU a 35-17 lead with 11:11 left in the third quarter. 

Ward ran the ball 19 times for 159 yards and two touchdowns. He did not play in the fourth quarter due to cramps, Bonamego said. 

“We are getting in a rhythm as an offense,” Ward said. “When the run game is clicking, that’s when Shane does his thing. I just let the offensive line guide me to the end zone.”

With 9:33 left in the game, Roback threw for his first touchdown of the game, connecting with EMU junior receiver Johnnie Niupalau for a 29-yard score. CMU still held a 11-point lead, 35-24. 

Just over two minutes later, EMU made the game interesting. Roback connected with Mathew Sexton for an 18-yard touchdown to cut the Eagles deficit to five points. 

EMU got a stop on defense and had the football back with 1:03 left in the game. However, senior cornerback Amari Coleman ended all speculation as he intercepted Roback and returned the ball 33 yards for a touchdown. 

The pick six pushed CMU to a 42-30 lead and put the game out of reach. 

“They were coming back in the fourth quarter, but to seal it at the end was a great feeling,” Coleman said. “They are a pass heavy team, so we were looking forward to it.”

The defense was swarming all night for the Chippewas, as sophomore defensive back Sean Bunting recorded two interceptions, Cox registered one, and Coleman earned a pick six. 

Toledo lost 38-10 to Ohio on Wednesday, keeping CMU’s MAC West Division title hopes alive. 

The Chippewas return to the field on Tuesday, Nov. 14 for a battle against Kent State at Dix Stadium. 

“It’s a road game and those are never easy,” Ward said. “We have to put this win behind us and just focus on Kent State.”