Women's basketball head coach on brink of 300 wins

33875_dsc_0662f

Women's head basketball coach Sue Guevara swings the net over her head after defeating Eastern Michigan and becoming the Mid-American Conference regular season champion on March 4, 2017 in McGuirk Arena.

Sue Guevara begins her 10th season as head coach of Central Michigan women’s basketball with 299 career wins.

After losing the first game of the Mid-American Conference Tournament and the Women’s National Invitation Tournament, Guevara was forced to put win No. 300 on hold until the 2017-18 season.

Luckily for Guevara, she has an opportunity to eclipse the 300-win mark against Purdue on Nov. 10th at McGuirk Arena.

“There is a gut feeling that we want to go further,” Guevara said. “(The end of the season) was disappointing, but we’ve moved on.”

Guevara’s 2016-17 team won the MAC West regular season championship.

Guevara led the Chippewas to a 23-9 (15-3 MAC) record last season. She surpassed Donita Davenport as CMU’s all-time wins leader.

Guevara also produced two First Team All-MAC players last season with guard Presley Hudson and forward Tinara Moore. Hudson set several school single-season records including assists (156) and free-throw percentage (92.6). Moore set the single-season record for blocks (64) and was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

“It’s cool (Guevara) is the winningest coach in program history,” Moore said. “We’d just like to continue that success for her.”

Guevara is 176-141 in her career at CMU. Guevara has won over 20 games in six of the last seven seasons. The Chippewas have either won the MAC West Division regular season championship or MAC Tournament title in four of the last five seasons.

Prior to being hired in 2007, Guevara served as an assistant at Auburn from 2004-07 and head coach of the University of Michigan from 1996-2003.

Her best season at Michigan came in 2000 when she led the Wolverines to a 22-8 record — placing second in the Big Ten.

The Chippewas set program records last season in scoring and 3-point single-game performances, and passed the 100-point plateau four times.

A record six Chippewas earned Academic All-MAC honors last season. CMU was also involved in a number of charities like Hoops for Hunger, Pack the Pantry and Special Olympics Michigan — earning the Dick Enberg Team Leadership Award.

“Sometimes in your face but behind the scenes she’s very caring,” said senior Cassie Breen of Guevera. “We’re all just a big family and I couldn’t be more thankful to be coached by her.”