LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Central Michigan University needs lights on Broomfield for student safety

ltte

TO THE EDITOR:

On the evening of Oct. 22, I decided to dash out in the rain to Morey Courts for a quick workout. I left my apartment and drove east on Broomfield Road towards Mission Street. Driving past McGuirk Arena, I noticed a blue F-150 in the left lane came to a stop. Through the rain I realized two students were crossing. I slammed on my brakes as the students ran in front. This situation, and countless others, could be easily averted with illuminated pedestrian signs.

Campus safety is a top priority for Central Michigan University and universities across the country.

Academic “security blankets” should stretch beyond classrooms, residence halls and sports arenas to pedestrian areas.

Walking is the most popular form of mass transit for the average college student. Whether it’s by bicycle, long board or car, students walk to classes and campus events daily. Driving through campus during the day can be a pain, especially during high traffic hours.

On a good Michigan day, drivers have full visibility of oncoming traffic whether it be car or pedestrian. On the other hand, at night and especially during inclement weather conditions, seeing pedestrians is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Installing illuminated pedestrian signs along Broomfield Road would increase student and driver safety for the CMU community. A student could simply hit a button, lights on the sign would flash and drivers would be alerted to oncoming pedestrians. The crosswalks along Broomfield Road are the main arteries connecting students to McGuirk, the Student Activity Center, Indoor Athletic Complex and Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Currently, when a student presses the “walk-button” to change the traffic light, drivers speed up to beat the light. Such signs have already been installed along Crawford Road surrounding the Vowels Elementary crosswalks. Installing illuminated pedestrian signs will increase a driver’s reaction time to yield for pedestrians and transform Mount Pleasant into a pedestrian cognizant community.

Matthew Brandom-Warren,

Detroit, Graduate Student