Football wins Michigan MAC trophy, gains ground in MAC West Division

dsc-9302

Sophomore running back Jerrod Davis breaks a tackle on Nov. 9 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

More important than bringing the Michigan Mid-American Conference Trophy back to Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan gained ground in the MAC West Division with its 42-30 win over Eastern Michigan on Nov. 8.

Sophomore running back Jonathan Ward led the way for the Chippewas with 19 carries for 159 yards and two touchdowns. It was the second straight game Ward rushed for over 100 yards. 

With the win, CMU jumped to 6-4 on the season and 4-2 in the MAC. Toledo and Northern Illinois are the two teams ahead of the Chippewas in the MAC West. Both teams are 5-1 in the conference. 

Top MAC Games

Toledo fell to Ohio on Wednesday and dropped to 5-1 in league play. Dorian brown carried the ball 17 times for 142 yards and two touchdowns. 

The Rockets (8-2, 5-1 MAC) and Bobcats (8-2, 5-1 MAC) were tied 7-7 with 3:19 left in the first half, then Ohio went on a 31-3 run to end the game and retain the top spot in the MAC East Division. 

Northern Illinois (7-3, 5-1 MAC) stayed tied for the top of the MAC West Division with a 63-17 win over Ball State. Freshman quarterback Marcus Childers threw for four touchdowns, while senior running back Jackson Huff carried scored a rushing touchdown. 

The Cardinals (2-8, 0-6 MAC) have the worst record in the MAC.   

Other Scores

Miami (Ohio) 24, Akron 14

Buffalo 38, Bowling Green 28

Western Michigan 48, Kent State 20

MAC Standings 

East Division

· Ohio Bobcats (8-2, 5-1 MAC)

· Akron Zips (5-5, 4-2 MAC) 

· Miami (Ohio) RedHawks (4-6, 3-3 MAC)

· Buffalo Bulls (4-6, 2-4 MAC)

· Bowling Green Falcons (2-8, 2-4 MAC)

· Kent State Golden Flashes (2-8, 1-5 MAC)

West Division

· Toledo Rockets (8-2, 5-1 MAC)

· Northern Illinois Huskies (7-3, 5-1 MAC)

· Central Michigan Chippewas (6-4, 4-2 MAC)

· Western Michigan Broncos (6-4, 4-2 MAC)

· Eastern Michigan Eagles (3-7, 1-5 MAC) 

· Ball State Cardinals (2-8, 0-6 MAC) 

Where CMU Stands

The Chippewas are riding a three-game winning streak and are still alive for the MAC title game. 

CMU will face Kent State and Northern Illinois in the final two games of the season. Last season, Kent State defeated the Chippewas at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, 27-24. 

Graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris, a former Warren De La Salle star and University of Michigan athlete, was 11-of-18 through the air for 155 yards, three touchdowns against EMU. Senior wide receiver Corey Willis had two touchdowns receptions. 

Kickoff against Kent State is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 14 at Dix Stadium.