Ostman wins Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Humanitarian Award

fb-boston-college-ostman-093017

Senior defensive lineman Joe Ostman plays in the game against Boston College on Sept. 30 at Alumni Stadium.

In order to earn the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Humanitarian Award, a student-athlete must succeed on the field, in the classroom and as a community leader. 

Central Michigan football senior defensive end Joe Ostman met all of the criteria and was awarded a trophy for his accomplishments over his time in Mount Pleasant. 

"I've said it before, Joe is the model student-athlete," CMU football coach John Bonamego said in a press release. "He's what you want on and off the field, in the community. He's got an unbelievable work ethic."

The 6-foot-3, 255-pound athlete has a 3.68 grade point average as a general management major. Ostman has earned the Dustin Preston Leadership Award and Dick Enberg Scholar Athlete of the Year. He is currently a finalist for the Bill Boyden Leadership Award. 

On the field, Ostman has made 12 sacks during the 2017 season, tied for second in the nation. He leads the FBS with 1.20 sacks per game. Along with posting outstanding sack numbers, the defensive end has made 18.5 tackles for a loss. 

Out of the classroom and off the field, Ostman has proved his leadership through work with the Special Olympics on CMU’s campus. 

Following his final game in a CMU uniform on Dec. 22 against Wyoming, Ostman will play in the East-West Shrine All-Stare Game on Jan. 20 in St. Petersburg, Florida.