10 Must-See Movies Hitting the Screen in 2018

popcorn

When planning a night out on the town, most college students turn to the bars or seek out the nearest party, often looking over seeing a movie. Going to the movies can be pricey for college students, but Mount Pleasant's Celebration Cinema offers $6 movie tickets on Tuesdays and discounts on food and beverages. 

Here are 10 movies coming out in 2018 and why they should be at the top of your must-see list.

The Post

Synopsis: This film follows Washington Post publisher Katherine Graham and her executive editor Ben Bradlee. Graham, the first female publisher of a major newspaper, and Bradlee work to expose government secrets even if it means risking their careers and The Post's reputation.   
Release Date: Jan. 12
Why You Should See it: This film is based on a true story. It offers an exciting way to learn about historical accounts and features Oscar winning stars including Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. 

Fifty Shades Freed

Synopsis: While main characters Ana and Christian are looking forward to a happy future together, trouble might be looming more closely behind than the couple would like to believe.
Release Date: Feb. 9
Why You Should See it: The 50 Shades Trilogy comes to a conclusion in this film. Known for racy sex scenes and dark plot twists, the 50 Shades Trilogy has continued to shock audiences of all demographics. With memorable quotes from the 50 Shades Freed novel by E.L. James such as, “I want your world to begin and end with me,” fans can only wonder what dark turns this film may take.

Black Panther

Synopsis: T’Challa, the new king of Wakanda, faces a threat to his reign when his two foes team up to destroy his nation. Superhero Black Panther teams up with special forces and a former CIA agent to defeat the terrorists and save the nation before it’s too late.
Release Date: Feb. 16
Why You Should See it: Black Panther is one of the first African American superheroes and finally has his own movie. In addition, Black Panther will be featured in Avengers: Infinity War which is set to hit theaters May 4, so be sure to check out Black Panther before then.

Every Day

Synopsis: Each day, a soul called “A” wakes up in the body of someone new. While A usually just tries to get the person through their day, everything changes when A and Rhiannon fall in love. The film follows the struggles the two face as they try to reunite with each other each day.
Release Date: Feb. 23
Why You Should See it: If you like to get caught up in your feelings, this movie is for you. Rather than a cheesy rom com (which are still great), this movie will tug on your heartstrings as the two never know what the next day will bring.

A Wrinkle in Time

Synopsis:  When Meg’s father goes missing, she takes matters into her own hands. She travels with her companions through space and time in an effort to rescue her dad from whatever, or whoever, is holding him captive.
Release Date: March 9
Why You Should See it: This film is based on Madeleine L’Engle’s award winning novel. As this book was published in the 1960’s having a female heroine in a science fiction movie was uncommon. However, this book once helped young girls feel empowered and the movie will continue to as well. 

Isle of Dogs

Synopsis: In the future, dogs are banned from Japanese cities after the canine flu has become rampant in the city. All dogs are sent to a garbage dump island. This film follows a young boy and a misfit band of dogs in the search of the boy’s dog.
Release Date: March 23
Why You Should See it: This film is directed by Wes Anderson, best known for his indie flicks such as Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Audiences can look forward to Anderson’s unique styles such as colorful patterns within shots and tracking shots. 

Avengers: Infinity War

Synopsis: Villain Thanos has a vision for how he’d like reality to be, threatening the fate of civilization as we know it. Former Avengers as well as new ones must come together to stop Thanos before he can collect all of the Infinity Stones and use them for evil.
Release Date: May 4
Why You Should See it: The first film, Marvel's The Avengers, had record-breaking success, surpassing international box office totals for other films including Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. Fans and critics have high expectations for the sequel which will feature other heroes like Star Lord, Black Panther and Doctor Strange the team assembles.

Incredibles 2

Synopsis: Everyone's favorite Pixar family is back in action. Whether it’s fighting crime, the threat of a new villain or in Bob’s case, babysitting three kids with their different superpowers, not even an additional superpower would make the Parr family’s life any easier.    
Release Date: June 15
Why You Should See it: This sequel comes 13 years after the first The Incredibles film was released. Whether you were growing up when the first film was released or you’re a newer fan, Disney Pixar’s magic is sure to allure all audiences.

The Purge: The Island

Synopsis: In The Purge, the government allows all crime for 12 hours and shuts down all emergency services. This prequel focuses on the first Purge Night that happens on Staten Island, N.Y.

Release Date: July 4
Why You Should See it: The Purge: The Island explores in detail the events that led to the Purge Night tradition, a topic that fans of The Purge have been longing to know about.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Synopsis: In this sequel to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Albus Dumbledore and Newt Scamander join forces to take down Gellert Grindelwald, a dark wizard who plans to make pureblood wizards the supreme rulers over all other beings.
Release Date: Nov. 16
Why You Should See it: Many fans don’t need a reason to revisit the wizarding world, but for those who do, this film will help us better understand Dumbledore and the events that took place to defeat one of the greatest wizards of all time.