Centennial Nights kicks off a new year of sound Jan. 13

19293_logot

Three students aim to push the envelope through a collection of jam bands, bass and special effects in the fourth installment of the live music production Centennial Nights. 

"Centennial Nights: Welcome Back" will be kicking off a new semester of downtown entertainment from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Jan. 13  at Centennial Hall, located at 306 W. Michigan St. Tickets are $12.61.

Centennial Nights are a collaborative entertainment wave by Skuzzy Boys Presents LLC and Magical Mitten Productions. The core group consists of Chelsea senior Chris Stewart, Lake Orion junior Spencer Roberts and Ludington junior Jesse Weier. 

The events have showcased local artists, such as indie-rock group Pineapple Psychology and indie-folk rock band Pining. Saturday's event will be taking up two whole rooms in Centennial Hall, including a live room and "vibe room." 

"We have so many different kinds of music on this specific Centennial Night," said Roberts, the cofounder of Skuzzy Boys Presents LLC. 

Roberts said the evening is set to feature folk and "jam bands," along with live hip-hop, electric dance music (EDM) and classical. 

Acts will be including alternative folk group, Crystal Images, hip-hop group Abstract Generation, dubstep artist Hazedog, house DJ Florhythm and several others. Cosmic Knot, a band that's sound consists of "spacious bluesy rhythms" and "psychedelic jazz grooves," according to the Centennial Nights Facebook, will be performing and featuring a special lights show. 

"I think a lot of events you go to you're going to hear the same style of music from start to finish, and I think that's just kind of boring in my opinion," Stewart, the founder of Magical Mitten Productions, said. 

The last Centennial Night, which took place Nov. 18 and was the first to feature the second "Vibe room," almost reached an audience of 300. 

"We're trying to make it a full-quality production you'd expect to see at any sort of concert," Stewart said, explaining that BASSBOSS audio service will be featured in the event to advance sound. 

BASSBOSS is a service out of Bay City that provides "ultra high-fidelity sound systems" to venues to deliver a strong noise to audiences. 

"It's going to pretty much be as loud as you would expect it to be at an EDM concert," Stewart said, warning that the whole room will be shaking on Saturday. 

The occasion will also feature a special art raffle with all proceeds going to the Sally and John Goodrow Fund, an outreach program providing emergency assistance to community members. 

The official lineup includes: 

Main Room 

• 9-9:30 p.m.: James 
  • 9:45-10:45 p.m.: Crystal Images 
  • 11 p.m.-12 a.m.: Pining 
  • 12:20-2 a.m.: Cosmic Knot 

Vibe Room 

• 8-9 p.m.: Florhythm 
  • 9-9:45 p.m.: EDERZ 
  • 9:45-10:30 p.m.: Morris Code 
  • 10:30-11:30 p.m.: Hazedog 
  • 11:15 p.m. -12:15 a.m.: Ascentient 
  • 12:30-1 a.m.: Abstract Generation 
  • 1-2 a.m.: Groove Controllaz 

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →