Senior forward Scott still inactive following semester change

img-9356-copy

DaRohn Scott watches from the bench as Central Michigan warms up to play Montana State on Dec. 5 at McGuirk Arena in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. 

Prior to the start of the season, Central Michigan men’s basketball coach Keno Davis predicted one of the 2016-17 season's best defenders to be eligible after the first semester. 

DaRohn Scott, who was expected to be active for CMU's Mid-American Conference opener against Ohio, has not been around for any team activities.

The senior forward has not appeared on the court for the Chippewas yet this season. 

Following CMU’s 75-50 win over Ohio in its Mid-American Conference opener, where Scott did not play, Davis declined to comment on Scott's eligibility. 

"I don't have any comment right now," Davis said. "I'm really proud of how our team has rallied throughout the year where we didn't have many expectations with our returning guys." 

After the Maroon and Gold scrimmage on Oct. 29, Davis shared little about Scott, only mentioning he was working on his academics in order to return to the court. 

"DaRohn's working on his academic thing, so he's still on the team," Davis said. "We take it day-by-day and continue to work with our guys on the court, with their academics and with everything else."

When asked if Scott was expected back after the Fall semester of classes, Davis said he was.

The 6-foot-9, 230-pound athlete from Grand Rapids Christian High School last played for CMU in the 2016-17 season, averaging 3.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 14.1 minutes per game. 

Last season, Scott became a fan-favorite by leading CMU and finishing third in the Mid-American Conference with 39 blocked shots. He is in fifth place on the school blocks list with 98. 

Redshirt freshman Innocent Nwoko has taken some of Scott's minutes from last season and backed up senior forward Luke Meyer this season. Meyer plays over 23 minutes per game and Nwoko sees just less than four minutes of action. 

The Chippewas just lost their second MAC game against Eastern Michigan on Jan. 9. On Saturday, Jan. 13, CMU faces Toledo. The Rockets are tied for first in the MAC West Division, and finished third in the division last season with nine conference wins. 

CMU is tied for last in the MAC with Eastern Michigan and Northern Illinois, who also sport 1-2 conference records. Buffalo is the only team in the conference with an undefeated MAC record (3-0).