Houston Texans quarterback Watson awards Clements full scholarship

rusco_gymnastics-3

Senior All-around Katy Clements performs her beam routine on Jan. 20 in McGuirk Arena.

Houston Texans quarterback Deshawn Watson surprised Central Michigan senior gymnast Katy Clements with a full-ride scholarship during a team meeting Jan. 29.

While Watson has no direct connection to CMU, he was classmates with Clements at Gainesville High School in Georgia.

Clements competes on the vault, floor and beam events at CMU. She is one of three gymnast to have competed in three or more events in meets this season. 

In a video that was played in front of the entire team, Watson congratulated Clements. 

“I would like to congratulate my friend Katy Clements in that you’ve been awarded a full scholarship to Central Michigan gymnastics," Watson said.

Head coach Jerry Reighard set up the team meeting like any other — talking about the leadership and confidence of NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Stephen Curry. 

Watson appeared in video to talk to the team and presented Clements with her scholarship. 

Clements responded on Twitter by thanking Watson.  

“CMU athletics, the place that took a chance on me, built me into the athlete I am and the place that has offered me the best years of my life so far," she tweeted. "Thank you for everything and thank you for this. You’ve given me more than I ever dreamt of!”