Women's basketball victorious in battle of MAC division leaders

In a battle of Mid-American Conference division leaders, the Central Michigan women’s basketball team came out victorious remaining undefeated in conference play. 

The Chippewas (17-3, 9-0 MAC) defeated Buffalo (16-4, 7-2 MAC), 86-79, on Tuesday night at McGuirk Arena. 

CMU is currently riding a 9-game win-streak, surpassing an early season 8-game win-streak for its longest of the season.

The dominating play of Presley Hudson in the first half and Tinara Moore in the second half led the way for CMU. Moore finished with 24 points and 15 rebounds while Hudson scored 22 points dishing out 7 assists. 

“Having that “C” across our chest gives us a lot of pride,” Moore said. “I’ve been here for four years and each year it gets better and better. 

Every starter for the Chippewas scored in double figures with Cassie Breen posting 15 points, Micaela Kelly adding 13 and Reyna Frost contributing 10 points. 

Hudson was clearly the best player on the floor in the first quarter. The junior scored eight points and added eight assists giving the Chippewas a 23-12 lead. 

“Through out the game we we’re able to stay composed and poised,” Hudson said. “It was up to us to be able to fight back and face adversity.” 

CMU jumped out to a 35-22 lead in the second quarter, but an 11-0 Buffalo run cut the Central lead to just two. Hudson hit her fifth 3-pointer late in the first half giving her 17 points and the Chippewas a 38-35 lead. 

“We had too many (first half) turnovers,” said head coach Sue Guevara. “Cutting down the turnovers was key.” 

After a tightly contested start to the second half, Moore converted a 3-point play extending CMU’s lead to nine midway through the third quarter. Cassie Breen hit a pair of 3-pointers and went 3-3 from the line giving Central Michigan a 62-50 at the end of the quarter. 

The Bulls went on a 9-0 run halfway through the fourth quarter to cut the Chippewas lead to six. With just under two minutes remaining Hudson hit a spectacular off balanced shot to ice the game for CMU. 

“This was a tough game for us, winning this game really helped us gained more confidence,” Moore said.  “We can beat any team in this conference.” 

The Chippewas return to action Saturday traveling to Ypsilanti to face Eastern Michigan.