USA Today ranks CMU wrestling in top 20

wrestling
Sophomore Mason Smith wrestles Kent State’s Chance Driscoll in the match against Kent State on Feb. 12, 2016 in McGuirk Arena.

USA Today ranked the Central Michigan wrestling team as the No. 18 team in the country, jumping three spots from No. 21 last week.

InterMat, a website that ranks college wrestlers individually and by team, ranked the Chippewas at No. 19 in tournaments and No. 24 in dual meets. 

The Chippewas have won their last four dual meets, including a 29-9 victory over Ohio on Sunday. The team also finished third in the 2017 Ken Kraft Midlands Invitational.

After a first place finish at the Midlands and a 7-1 victory over Mario Guillen on Sunday, sophomore wrestler Mason Smith climbed 10 spots in this week’s rankings on InterMat, a website that ranks college wrestlers.

The Clio native sits at No. 10 in the 141-pound weight class. He sports a 25-3 record for the 2017-18 season.

Junior Justin Oliver remains ranked at No. 3 in the 149-pound weight class. Senior Colin Heffernan also sticks at No. 16 in the 157-pound weight class class, despite being out of action for about a month.

Senior Jordan Ellingwood remains at No. 14 at 184 pounds, while senior CJ Brucki dropped one spot to No. 15 at 174.

Redshirt freshman Matt Stencel made his debut in the top 20, coming in at No. 20 for 285 pounds.

CMU wrestling is back in action against No. 4 Missouri at 7 p.m. on Jan. 19 at McGuirk Arena.