Wrestling beats Ohio, Heffernan returns to practice next week

wrestling-mugs034-2
Clio RS Sophomore Mason Smith poses for photos on Nov.1 in the Wrestling Room

In their first home meet since Nov. 17, Central Michigan wrestling defeated Ohio, 29-9, to earn its fourth straight dual meet win. 

CMU wrestlers won eight out of 10 individual matches.

The Chippewas improve their record to 5-3, 2-0 in Mid-American Conference play. Ohio falls to 0-5, 0-3 in the MAC.

Junior Justin Oliver pinned Kade Kowalski in just over a minute into the bout. 

The No. 3 wrestler at 149 pounds said he was caught flat footed early being taken down, but turned things around quickly.

"After the takedown everything turned off in my brain and went into kill mode," Oliver said. "It feels good to get a pin first meet back home. Next time I hopefully don't give up the first takedown."

Redshirt freshman Drew Hildebrandt (125) started the dual off with a 15-2 major decision over Trevor Giallombardo, earning 3:22 of riding time. Sophomore Mason Smith (No. 20 at 141) earned a 7-1 victory over Mario Guillen, earning 1:53 of riding time.

Redshirt Freshman Blake Montrie (157) kept momentum going for the Chippewas with a 5-3 victory over senior Cullen Cummings.

"I thought he wrested well, could've scored more in a couple situations," said head coach Tom Borrelli. "He's improved, this is very good for him and bodes well for next year."

Sophomore Logan Parks knocked (165) off redshirt freshman Joe Terry in a nail biting 5-4 final. 

Senior CJ Bucki (No. 14 at 174) defeated redshirt junior Arsen Ashughyan 10-6 in Ashughyan's first match of the 2017-18 season. Senior Jordan Ellingwood (No. 14 at 184) earned a 14-2 major decision over redshirt freshman Hunter Yeargen. Junior Jordan Atienza froze the dual at 29-6 with a 7-4 victory over freshman Aaron Naples.

Redshirt freshmen Dresden Simon (133) and Matt Stencel (285) were the only two Chippewas to drop their individual matches. 

Simon jumped to a quick 6-1 lead over No. 16 Cameron Kelly, but was eventually pinned by Kelly with seven seconds remaining in the first period. Stencel fell 10-4 to redshirt junior Zack Parker.

Borrelli said that he is pleased with the victory and knew the Chippewas would come out a bit flat after last weekends Midlands Championships.

"This was a tough dual for us," Borrelli said. "I thought we would be a little flat today, and in some spots we were."

CMU wrestling is back in action on Friday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. against No. 4 Missouri at McGuirk Arena.

Heffernan to resume wrestling in practice this week

Senior Colin Heffernan has been sidelined after suffering an injury to his left shoulder at the Cliff Keen invitational in early December. According to Borrelli Heffernan's status for a return against Missouri is still in the air.

"He's been doing light drilling, a lot of conditioning. We'll get him on the mat this week to have him drill and wrestle a bit toward the end of the week," Borrelli said. "I want to see (Heffernan) wrestler for a week before we actually wrestle him."