DIII hockey reaches 20 straight with win against Calvin College

mg-0672
Forward Ryan Tyrer skates during the CMU v Northwood University game Jan 27 at Isabella County Events Arena

The No. 2 Central Michigan Division III men’s hockey team topped Calvin College, 7-2, to win its 30th game of the season.

The Chippewas haven’t lost since their game against Oakland College on Oct. 28.

Meanwhile, the Knights have yet to win a game this season. CMU is now 30-4 (17-4 in the Michigan Collegiate Hockey Association) and Calvin is 0-18 (0-15 in MCHC).

Forward Nathan Allgaier said the Chippewas should have been more aggresive.

“We knew this team wasn’t very good after last night and looking at their record, so we had to come in with some focus and not slip up,” he said. “(But) there were times where we sat back and were thinking to ourselves 'okay, we don’t need to try that hard today,' but we can’t do that the rest of the year because we have important games coming up and we’re going to have to be playing our best.”

Head coach James Cadzow said this win allowed some of the backup players to get time on the ice. 

“Although they came out a little nerved up, they settled in," Cadzow said. "They played with enthusiasm and for guys to come in and play that don’t get a lot of reps. I thought they did a pretty nice job.”

Each Chippewa goal came from a different player. Allgaier secured his 36th goal of the season.

Freshman forward Alex Osborn grabbed his sixth goal of the season at 5:51 and senior defensemen Justice Bigelow grabbed his 10th of the season with 5:06 left.

The Chippewas scored first in the middle period as junior forward Jordan Wadge scooped his fourth of the year with 14:34 remaining.

10 seconds remained in the second period when Calvin defensemen Zach Nowak put the Knights on the board with his goal, making it a 4-1 game.

Freshman forward Ben Schwimmer scored his first goal of the year at the 14:51 mark. Sophomore defensemen Brennan Martin and junior forward Dalton Sutherland continued it with their goals at 11:52 and 10:52 minute marks, respectively.

Calvin forward Zach Nall scored his fifth goal of the season and made it a five-point game with 7:36 remaining.