'RuPaul's Drag Race' star to speak on campus Feb. 26

Reality television personality and drag superstar Morgan McMichaels will be speaking on campus at 8 p.m. Feb. 26 in Plachta Auditorium.

McMichaels, has been featured on shows such as "RuPaul's Drag Race" and in music videos for Rihanna and Lady Gaga. 

Program Board Lecture Director Elizabeth Hernandez said her initial mission for the year was to deliver a variety of talent to CMU from “different walks of life.” 

“I believe (McMichaels) fits that,” Hernandez said. “This event is a little more exciting because she’s been on 'RuPaul' and I know that’s a show a lot of people like to watch. It’s cool to have a recognized name come to campus.” 

The visit has also been made possible with the support and collaborative efforts of the Office of LGBTQ Services, Hernandez said. 

Hernandez first experienced McMichaels' stage performance in October during a National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) conference, she said. 

”When I saw her perform, I just knew we (needed) McMichaels at CMU,” Hernandez said. 

McMichaels' presence can help put a more distinctive light on LGBTQ topics on campus and help expand a more inclusive mindset throughout CMU, Hernandez said.

”I hope to just exceed people’s expectations when (McMichaels) comes," she said. "I really want people to enjoy it and have a fun time and maybe even start a conversation on the importance of LGBTQ issues.“ 

The event is free and open to the public and will conclude with a Q&A segment. 

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →