NFL-bound Conklin gives back to hometown community

conklin
Senior tight end Tyler Conklin poses for a portrait on Oct. 11 at the Indoor Athletic Center.

Former Central Michigan football tight end Tyler Conklin is giving back to his community in Chesterfield. 

At the 2018 NFL Combine, the 6-foot-4, 240-pound athlete will represent the Boys & Girls Club of Oakland and Macomb Counties. 

“The goal of the club is to inspire and enable all young people to realize their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens," according to the fundraiser's website.

The NFL Combine begins Feb. 27 and runs through March 5. He will compete at the combine on March 3 — live on NFL Network. 

“As I take the next step toward achieving my life-long dream of playing in the NFL, I would like to take the goal of the Club and make it a mission for myself, utilizing my passion and platform to help young people in every way that I can,” Conklin said. 

The donations are set up so every inch of Conklin’s vertical leap at the NFL Combine will be donated to the Club. Those donating can pick to donate $5, $2.50, $1.50, $0.75 or a custom pledge amount per vertical leap inch. 

“I have always loved being around kids – teaching them and helping them grow,” Conklin said in the website. “My mom instilled in me from a very young age the importance of helping those that are less fortunate, or need a little extra support.”

According to Conklin’s estimated total of 35 inches, the $5 donation per inch would come to be $175. For all that donate, Conklin is thankful. 

“Thank you for your support of my campaign,” Conklin said. “Every little bit helps, and I’ll be training extra hard knowing that with your pledges, every inch is more money toward helping kids in my hometown reach their full potential.”

On the field in Mount Pleasant, Conklin earned 1,159 yards and 11 touchdowns on 83 receptions over his career. 

In 2017, he missed the first five games due to an injury and earned Third-Team All-Mid-American Conference honors. 

Conklin aims to raise $3,000 for the Club. 

“I promise you, I will give it all I’ve got,” Conklin said.