Hundreds participate in Man vs. Mountain 5K obstacle course

mjb-manvsmountain-2-3-6
A participant in the Man vs. Mountain 5K climbs the final obstacle on Feb. 2 near City Hall.

Nearly 340 runners participated in the Man vs. Mountain 5K on Feb. 3 at Mount Pleasant City Hall, where participants raced through the cold air and multiple obstacles along the Chippewa River. 

The race started at West Broadway Street near Chapel Drive and ended at Mountain Town Brewing Station. After crossing the finish line, participants received a free beverage, a long sleeve shirt and photos from the event. 

Mount Pleasant senior Eva May said she enjoyed participating in this year's race. May has lived in Mount Pleasant for the last three years with her husband and children. This was her first time participating in the race, although she walked the trail during the event last year.

Obstacles included pulling tires, running through a wooded trail, bucket runs and army crawling.

"A couple of (challenges) were tough — especially the last one. I tried (but) I couldn't even go to the second knot," May said as participants were still trying to scale the last obstacle — a steep angled wooden surface with a rope attached to the top. 

Although the obstacles were challenging at times, May said it was an experience she would recommend to anyone.

The fastest male and female participants of the 5K — Justin Fachting of Riverdale and Adri Fowler of Lake City, respectively — were awarded free registration for next year's race and winners of each age division received medals. Awards were also given for best costume as an individual, couple and team respectively.

Ryan Longoria, director of Recreation and Sports for the City of Mount Pleasant, said the goal of the event is to "simply break even."

Although the money does not go toward a specific charitable cause, Longoria said it allows the city to meet its financial goals and helps its ability to host future events.

Longoria said about 340 runners attended the 5K race on Saturday morning.