Sigma Chi wins Sigma Freeze with a final score of 10-2

sig-freeze-final-game-8
Sigma Chi players celebrate after making a goal at the final Sigma Freeze game on Feb. 17 at Isabella County Events Arena.

The men of Sigma Chi held their trophy high as the team won the first-ever tournament style hockey game of Sigma Freeze.

The arena fell black while a spotlight cast over members of Sigma Chi, as the men of Phi Sigma Phi stretched on the sides of the rink. The final game of hockey for Sigma Freeze started at 7:30 p.m. at the Isabella County Events Arena, where the winners of the previous two games competed for the title of Sigma Freeze Champions. 

Sigma Chi was winning 6-0 at the end of the second period, and ended the game on top with a final score of 10-2 against Phi Sigma Phi.

The crowds, filled from bleachers to glass, screamed the beat of "Seven Nation Army" while pounding on the barrier between audience and ice. The players met with their coaches before the first period started as fans kept pouring into the arena.

Sigma Freeze is an annual event hosted by the brothers of Sigma Chi with the help of other Greek organizations. This year included tournament-style hockey games for fraternities as well as broomball games for sororities. All proceeds from the event go towards the John Huntsman Institute for Cancer Research.

Brad Bell, a 21-year-old senior from Walled Lake, is a member of Phi Sigma Phi who expected his fraternity to take home the win during the final hockey game. 

"I think it'll be a close game. I'm saying 3-2 Phi Sigma Phi" Bell said.

Joey Mastej, a 20-year-old junior from Macomb, was a player for Phi Sigma Phi who said it should be an obvious win for his team.

"They've been the little brother for years, so it's about time we really just solidify it," Mastej said. 

Mastej said his brothers went out the night before to talk about how the first game went, and it helped the group bond for finals. He also talked about how the rivalry is friendly, but both sides are very serious about winning.

"We kind of seem to shadow the fact that it is about raising money for awareness" Mastej added.

Although, not everyone was rooting for Phi Sigma Phi.

"I was hearing a couple players talking s*** before the game, you know. We beat (Sigma Pi) last night, we are a far better team than the (Phi Sigma Phi) are," head coach of Sigma Chi Shane Dooley said. "I wouldn't be surprised if the game was over after a period and a half" said Dooley.

Little did Dooley know he would be correct in his assumption.

The men of both fraternities shook hands afterward, as emotions ran high and fans stayed to take pictures. The friendly rivalry was finally settled between the two teams when Sigma Chi came out on top.

"All I wanted was to beat (Phi Sigma Phi)" said Patrick Holder, a brother of Sigma Chi and CMU junior who scored multiple goals that night.