Meyer finishes CMU career as four-year starter after tournament loss

rusco_bball-10

Senior forward Luke Meyer shoots a 3-pointer during the basketball game against University of Buffalo on March 8 at Quicken Loans Arena. 

For four years, Central Michigan men’s basketball forward Luke Meyer hasn’t missed a game.

He hasn’t even missed a start. 

In 2,573 career minutes, the 6-foot-11, 224-pound forward from Addison, Michigan poured in 943 points and 556 rebounds. 

“This means the world to me,” Meyer said, after a 89-74 loss to Buffalo in the Mid-American Conference quarterfinals. “It’s hard because this might have been my last game, but I’m proud of everyone I’ve ever played with. I’ve never had a time where I was miserable.

“All the brothers I have played with are family.” 

Meyer helped lead the Chippewas to a 2014-15 Mid-American Conference regular season title and a trip to the National Invitation Tournament. 

“You look back at the championships we were able to win and the banner we hung and Luke Meyer might not have been the first guy to play, but we don’t win those without him,” Davis said.

When Davis arrived in Mount Pleasant to start his job as the head coach, Meyer was one of the first recruiting prizes he laid his eyes on. 

“Luke was one of the first guys we saw when our staff came together in Mount Pleasant,” Davis said. “He was the guy that could shoot the ball and is a great young man, athlete and academic student.”

The goal of Davis’ program is to continue moving in the right direction. He said he is thankful for the example of character Meyer has brought to the university. 

“To be able to continue to move the program forward with the high-character Luke brings is what it’s all about,” Davis said. “He won’t be soon forgotten at CMU.”