Williams records 21 points, 13 rebounds in season-ending loss

rusco_bball-2

Senior forward Cecil Williams dunks during the basketball game against University of Buffalo on March 8 at Quicken Loans Arena. 

Just when Central Michigan men's basketball needed him, senior Cecil Williams performed. 

To avoid going into halftime by double-digits, Williams recorded two layups, one defensive rebound, one block, one dunk and one 3-pointer in the final four minutes of the first half. He provided offense after Kevin McKay, who scored 10 points in the first 12 minutes of the half, was subbed out. 

Williams helped keep it close in CMU's 89-74 loss to No. 1-seeded Buffalo in the quarterfinal round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. He finished with 21 points, 13 rebounds, one steal and three blocks. 

“I wish (Williams) had a couple more years,” said head coach Keno Davis. “I think his best basketball has yet to come. If he gets an opportunity to play professionally, I’m going to keep a close eye on him. He always had a great attitude and worked hard. He put the team first.” 

This was Williams' final game in a Chippewa uniform, unless CMU is invited to a postseason tournament. He, along with Luke Meyer, Josh Kozinski and John McCarty, has used up all of his eligibility.