City Commission discusses city updates, fund allocations

city-commision-march-26-5
The city commission discusses during the workshop on March 26 in Mount Pleasant City Hall.

Community input helped the Mount Pleasant City Commission make its final decision about the status of a downtown bus shelter.

The I-Ride bus shelter, located on the corner of Main and Broadway streets, will remain standing after commissioners approved a recommendation at their March 26 meeting. The shelter, which acts as an enclosed space for waiting bus riders, was recommended to be removed, since there is no longer a continual route downtown. 

I-Ride Executive Director Rick Collins presented data showing that the shelter was the third-most visited bus stop. Community members also spoke in opposition of its removal at the March 12 commission meeting.  

“I would just like to reiterate ‘thank you’ to the citizens of our community that brought this to our city commission’s attention,” commissioner Lori Gillis said. 

Street Lighting Project

Commissioners moved ahead with a residential lighting project that will install pedestrian lighting along Broadway Street. At the March 12 meeting the commission was asked to consider the re-prioritization of pedestrian lighting project location, from the area near May Street, Gaylord Street and Clayton Street, to Broadway Street, from Maxwell Street to Bradley Street. 

Before approving the location change, the commission decided to send letters to residents to inform them of the change. 

The only response came before the letters even went out. It was from a property owner who was anxious to see the project completed. 

Gillis voted to approve the location change, but expressed her concerns about the project. 

"I want the city commission to keep in mind, that every time we add something new - be it a sign, a bike lane, a lighting structure - we are taking on the responsibility of maintaining that for future years," Gillis said. 

National Barbershop Quartet Day

The MountainTown Singers sing "You've Got a Friend in Me" after Mayor Allison Quast-Lents proclaimed April 11 "National Barbershop Quartet Day" and recognized their impact on the community on March 26 in the Mount Pleasant City Hall.

At the meeting, the commission also recognized National Barbershop Quartet Day as April 11, and honored a local musical group, MountainTown Singers, who have been entertaining the community since 2004. 

A MountainTown Singers quartet sang “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” for the commission, after Mayor Allison Quast-Lents read the proclamation. 

Work Session

In a brief work session, the commission finished discussing 2019 goals, which were first discussed in a special meeting on Feb. 27. 

The three goals of the commission for 2019 include increasing the number of people downtown to contribute to its success, a two-year plan to diversify and engage the community in relation to owner-occupied housing, and better inform the community of the services offered through tax money. 

Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe funds

Semi-annually, the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe distributes two percent of its funds from class III gaming from Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort and Saganing Eagles Landing Casino to the community. While the tribe has the final say, the commissioners each gave their input on what they believe the allocations should fund. Their request are as follows:

• Kristin Lalonde: Partners Empowering All Kids (PEAK), Multi-Jurisdictional Storm Water Study, Neighborhood Pedestrian Street Lighting, Mount Pleasant Center Archaeological Surveys, and Mission Creek Dam Removal. 
  • Lori Gillis: Mission Creek Dam Removal, East Digester Rehabilitation, Wastewater Treatment Facility Generator, Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge Replacement, and City Hall and Department of Public Works security.
  • William Joseph: PEAK, Mount Pleasant Center Archaeological Surveys, Mission Creek Dam Removal, East Digester Rehabilitation, Bay Area Narcotics Enforcement Team (BAYANET).
  • Kathy Ling: Mount Pleasant Center Archaeological Surveys, BAYANET, PEAK, Youth Services Unit, and Multi-Jurisdictional Storm Water Study.
  • Tony Kulick: Mount Pleasant Center Archaeological Surveys, 2020 United States Census Preparation, Mission Creek Dam Removal, BAYANET, and PEAK.
  • Vice Mayor Nicholas Madaj: Mount Pleasant Center Archaeological Surveys, 2020 United States Census Preparation, PEAK, BAYANET, and Multi-Jurisdictional Storm Water Study. 
  • Mayor Quast-Lents: Mount Pleasant Center Archaeological Surveys, 2020 United States Census Preparation, Neighborhood Pedestrian Street Lighting, Downtown Planner Replacement, and Tree Planting Program.