Presidential search committee holds forum for candidate input March 23

f6

Faculty, students, alumni and community members share with the presidential search advisory committee what they would like to see in the next president at an open forum on March 23 in the Powers Ballroom. 

Members of the presidential search advisory committee took input from staff and shared their perspective in the Powers Ballroom on March 23.

"The hiring of the leader of the organization and the leader of the president is the board's number one responsibility,” said Tricia Keith, vice chair of the board of trustees and chair of the search advisory committee, talking about President (George) Ross’ decision to step down.

This was the starting point when the direction of the search was organized. The goal of the committee, Keith said, was to find a president by July 31— a time frame Keith labeled as “aggressive."

“Our number one guiding principle is, that we will make sure we have the right candidate as opposed to having someone by the time the president leaves,” Keith said. “If we don’t have the right candidate at that time we will be prepared to name an interim until we are able to get to the right candidate. 

The board also elaborated on their other guides for the position. The board stressed that they are putting a consideration on diversity. That consideration also includes past experience. 

The board also chose to make their considerations anonymous. This, the board's search consultant, Witt/Kieffer said, would leave them with a better selection of candidates. 

“We want people to understand the process, but we also want to make sure that people understand that when we get to a place where we have finalists candidates that will be a board decision that is made and then announced — there will not be community forums with the finalist candidates,” Keith said.

This forum still allowed the community to have input on what they are looking for. 

“Really you need two things for a university, just two things it’s pretty simple. And that being students and you need teachers,” said David Jesuit, chair of political science and public administration. “I hope that we have a president who does prioritize students and teachers.”

Jesuit also recommended against choosing a political figure for the position. 

“My vision for the next leader is someone who can reflect the spirit of the university," said Tim Odenkirk, a CMU alumnus. "The spirit of who we are comes from the people of the community itself. It is well known and it is very powerful.”

Some, like Harley Blake, a manager of professional development programs, were concerned with how the president would work.

“We have a very strong family feel," Blake said. "(The current president) asks students into his house twice a year and asks the question: why did you come to CMU? Over half those students say ‘Well, it felt right,’” he said. 

Feedback can be given on the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees website. This feedback can be confidential, and people can suggest candidates for the committee to look at. The Presidentialsearch@cmich.edu email has also been created to give feedback to the committee.