CMU University Theatre to present comedy 'The Country Wife'

19293_logot

Hypocrisy and foolishness will be acted out by the University Theatre in the 17th century comedy, "The Country Wife."

The show will take place at 7:30 p.m. March 21-24 and 2 p.m. March 25 at the Bush Theatre. "The Country Wife" was originally written in 1675 by William Wycherley as a satire of aristocratic and anti-puritan ideology. 

Communication and Dramatic Arts faculty member Keeley Stanley will be directing the play and its cast of 16 Central Michigan University students.

Stanley said the play will feature extravagant costumes and is going to be will a visually appealing experience for the audience. 

Stanley will be collaborating with scenic and lighting designer Paul Collins and costume designer Ann Dasen.

The original play takes place in 1665 London. The story follows three plots revolving around Mrs. Pinchwife, a naive woman from the country, trying to escape from her jealous husband from the city. 

Mrs. Pinchwife defies her husband by exploring the city and getting involved with the local “rakes" — an English term for a womanizer. 

CMU Theatre will perform a modern-day approach of the play by having it take place in the 21st Century. For example, older literature props have been replaced with Playboy magazine and the book "50 Shades of Grey." 

Stanley wanted her students to perform the play because restoration comedy — a type of performance known for its raunchy and witty dialogue, popularized in the era when “The Country Wife” first came out — is a difficult style, she said. She said she believes the play explores different perspectives on gender roles and sexuality.