Former football graduate assistant Gomes hired at Bowling Green

After what’s happened this offseason regarding assistant coaches, Central Michigan can be considered a stepping stone for further opportunities. 

The Chippewas have said goodbye to three assistants since the month of January, including former tight ends coach Sherrone Moore and defensive backs coach Archie Collins, leaving for Michigan and Pittsburgh, respectively. 

DeJon “DJ” Gomes, who worked with the defensive backs last season as a graduate assistant, became the ninth assistant coach for Bowling Green, earning his first full-time job since retiring from the NFL. 

“If the timing had worked out, there might have been a situation that (Gomes) could have stayed here,” said CMU head coach John Bonamego. “In the end, it was an opportunity that he had to take. I’m happy, DJ is one of my guys.”

Playing three combined seasons for the Washington Redskins and Detroit Lions, Gomes had prior connections with Bonamego when both were on staff with the Lions. 

"Other than one game next year and one game the year after that, I’m a big DJ Gomes fan,” Bonamego said. “I’m always pulling for him. He’s one of our guys and I’ll do everything I can to help him.”

CMU has already welcomed newly hired assistants Tavita Thompson and Tony Coaxum in time for spring practice, with the spring game slated for April 21. 

Thompson had stints as a graduate assistant with Oregon State and Nebraska, two years after playing for the now defunct-United Football League in 2010. Thompson spent three seasons working with the tight ends for the Cornhuskers. 

Coaxum and Bonamego’s relationship dates back to their tenure at the United States Military Academy, when Bonamego was an assistant and the other played defensive back in the late-90’s. Coaxum was let go by the Denver Broncos in early 2017 after two seasons as assistant special teams coach. 

“Loyalty has to be a two-way street,” Bonamego said. “If guys are working hard for CMU and they’re doing what I ask, which I demand a lot out of my staff, then I feel like it’s my responsibility when the time comes to help them."

From the official listing on CMUChippewas.com, three graduate assistants remain a part of Central Michigan’s roster: Jack Harris, Josh Sinagoga and Jerome Williams.