Bonamego, Conklin speak highly of former tight ends coach Sherrone Moore

Central Michigan head coach John Bonamego watches his players compete in 2018 Pro Day on March 16 at the Indoor Athletic Complex.

When University of Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh called John Bonamego the message was simple: hire Sherrone Moore. 

A few days after the phone conversation, Michigan officially named Moore as its tight ends coach on Jan. 15. 

Prior to joining the Wolverines, Moore was on staff at Central Michigan as a tight ends coach from the 2014 to 2017 season. He was hired under former head coach Dan Enos and continued through Bonamego’s time with the Chippewas.

“Sherrone is fantastic and outstanding in every way,” Bonamego said. “He is a great person and he’s outstanding at the details of his job. He’s trying to get better every single day and he will do well as a recruiter as well.” 

Spending three years on Bonamego’s staff, the head man of the Chippewas told Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh to hire Moore even though he wanted to keep him in Mount Pleasant. 

“When Jim (Harbaugh) called me, as much as I didn’t want to lose him, I told him to hire Sherrone because there isn’t a better person, coach, teacher and recruiter out there in the country,” Bonamego said.

“The Michigan program is fortunate to have him.” 

In 2017, CMU’s tight ends, led by senior Tyler Conklin, made 40 receptions for 547 yards and six touchdowns. Conklin logged 28 catches for 406 yards and five scores.

Senior tight end Tyler Conklin attempts to break a tackle after making a catch during CMU’s 49-10 loss to Western Michigan on Oct. 1, 2016 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

“He’s the best coach I’ve ever had,” Conklin said. “He’s personable. I became extremely close to him and he’s a mentor in my life. Not only as a people person, he’s a great coach.”

Before coming to Mount Pleasant, Moore coached five seasons at Louisville. He was a graduate assistant for three years and the tight ends coach for the final two years. During his time as the tight ends coach, the Cardinals went 23-3. 

Naturally, Moore is a winner.

“Michigan is extremely lucky and those tight ends are really lucky,” Conklin said. “Don’t be surprised if that group really flourishes in the next couple of years.”