National walkout against gun violence coming to CMU March 14

19293_logot

College Democrats at Central Michigan University urge the community to stand for gun control legislation in a nationwide protest. 

The Registered Student Organization is partnering with Women’s March Youth EMPOWER to bring the National School Walkout to CMU’s campus. Students, faculty, staff and administration are encouraged to gather for 17 minutes at 10 a.m. on March 14 at Fabiano Botanical Garden.

The purpose of the protest is to demand Congress for better legislative action on gun control. 

“We’re proud to join in association with the Women’s March to pressure Congress to take action on the gun violence plaguing our country,” said Ethan Petzold, president of the College Democrats. 

Petzold said the event is an opportunity for the CMU community to inform elected officials it has “had enough” with the lack of gun regulation. 

He said it’s especially important in the aftermath of the shooting that took place at CMU March 2. 

“The fear our campus felt (March 2) made real to our campus how quickly our lives can change and how gun violence impacts the lives of thousands of Americans every year,” he said. “We should be able to get our education free of fear and the prospect of violence.” 

The event is scheduled to take place exactly one month after the shooting that took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The 17-minute period honors the 17 victims who died in the incident. 

The event is being promoted over social media with a #NationalSchoolWalkout campaign. 

Petzold said the protest is a step toward eliminating the fear of gun violence across the U.S. 

“We need to address this epidemic of gun violence in this country so no campus is strained with the fear that we felt (March 2)” he said.

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →