Lacrosse falls to Michigan at home, 12-4

lacrosse3

Freshman midfielder Hannah Potter runs the ball down the field during the lacrosse game on Feb. 28 at the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. 

Central Michigan lacrosse struggled to find the back of the net early on Sunday, resulting in a loss to the University of Michigan. 

The Chippewas (2-4) fell to the Wolverines (3-5) by a score of 12-4 in the first of seven home games in Mount Pleasant. 

“I think our defense has been lockdown” said head coach Sara Tisdale. “Now it’s a matter of turning it into points on the scoreboard.”

After a slow start, Michigan scored first with 23:48 remaining in the first half. The Wolverines would go on to score three more goals in the next four minutes, giving UM a 4-0 lead. 

Michigan carried the momentum for the rest of the second half, scoring three more unanswered goals. CMU was behind 7-0 at halftime. 

“I’ll take the second half, but I wish we would have come out and played like that in the first half,” Tisdale said. “I think we would have been able to catch Michigan off guard.”

The Wolverines picked up where they left off by scoring less than two minutes into the second half. 

With 23:46 remaining in the second half, Anna Schoonover scored the first goal of the game for Central Michigan and cut UM’s lead to 8-1. 

Moments later, Emma Hamilton scored the second straight goal for the Chippewas.

With 21:28 remaining, the Wolverines scored once again and sealed the game.

CMU matched the Wolverines the rest of the way with two goals each but it was too late. 

“Our goalkeeping by Dom Hamman was outstanding,” Tisdale said. “Give credit to Michigan in the fact that they executed their game plan.”

Central Michigan will continue play at 1 p.m. on Thursday, March 15 at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex hosting Duquesne.